Author Topic: Two bows one arrow  (Read 2882 times)

Don Case

Two bows one arrow
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:23:07 pm »
I'm using one arrow, spined at approx 35# and bare shaft. It has a 100 gr point. I'm drawing it 25" from two bows, both measure 40# at 25". From  bow 1 the arrow goes dead straight every time, from bow 2 it goes nock right every time. Why would that be?

Edit: Changed it again to try and make more sense, sorry
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:16:57 pm by Don C »

Offline bow101

Re: Two bows one arrow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:20 pm »
Oh I thought it was the other way-round it has to much spine.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:36:04 pm »
Thanks Bow, I changed it. I was writing faster than I could think :-[ :-[

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:40:39 pm »
How wide is the arrow pass on each? That's probably your variance cause.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »
At the nock no 2 handle is only 1/16" wider. Assuming the string bisects the handle that's only 1/32" difference. Would that do it?

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:35:53 pm »
What size are the shafts..?  I only use 11/32" that cured 60% of my problems, canting the bow helped another 10% good fletching job 10%  which leaves me with 20%  of practice and lots of it.  Untill then my grouping is still out to lunch.  ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:28:55 am »
Brace height?

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 11:48:58 am »
Lostarrow  There is about 1/2" difference in brace height. The bow that shoots straight(bow 1) has the lower brace height.

Bow101  It's the same arrow for the two bows. A natural bamboo.

Offline beartail

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:34:36 am »
lower brace hight sounds to me.lower brace will make the bow shoot harder because the string has farther to travel so the bow with the higher brace hight isn't shooting as hard as the lower brace hight.also consider that one piece of wood is different than the other. so two hickory bows made from even the same tree with all other things the same may cast an arrow way differant

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 07:50:03 pm »
Try shooting both bows for distance using the same arrow.  That should tell you which bow is more efficient and consequently will push harder on the arrow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Don Case

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:31:01 am »
I don't know of anywhere around here that I could shoot for distance and even hope to find the arrow. In the winter I could go down to the beach. Hmmm, maybe a rainy day? One bow is an OS with no set and the other is a yew with a couple of inches of set. There is no doubt in my mind which would win the distance contest. Anyway you answered my question. Just because two bows have the same draw length and weight doesn't mean that they will need the same weight spined arrows.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think they all contribute.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
Sometimes, changing the brace height even just a little bit will get your arrows to straighten out on the bow that is not shooting properly. Try playing around with that and see if it makes a difference.