Author Topic: Flight bow in progress  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Flight bow in progress
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 10:09:10 pm »
Great looking design, just has the look of a bow holding good arrow cast and smooth draw. I'm gonna watch this to see what's next, thanks for posting it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 05:35:00 am »
Looking good Steve,looking forward to seeing more. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 07:04:34 am »
I think ya have just enough..as long as ya don't crowd your tiller too much n got good materials it should hold...I also made a 55.5" R/D stiff handle osage selfbow with a shelf cut in pulling 44@26" n its only 16.9 ounces mass...and its still shooting yet a year and a half later

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 07:17:06 am »
  I agree with you, on a shorter bow no real need to crowd the tiller. Barring a screw up on my part I should be ok.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 10:08:08 am »
Looking good! Wish you the best, Badger. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 12:32:24 pm »
          Well she finished out quickly this morning, waiting for someone to photo full draw pics. Like to share a couple of tips here that can be helpful to anyone even experienced bowyers. Knowing when to brace a bow can be a little iffy sometimes, especially reflexed bows or recurves. It really doesn't have to be. When I braced the bow last night it was pulling 50#@20" on the long string. After bracing this morning I put it back on the scale and it measures the same braced as unbraced. Of course bracing a bow adds a lot of stress that an unbraced bow is not experiencing so once it is excersized I expect to loose a few pounds just to wood compression. As expected this happened. I lost 3/4" of my reflex and about 2 1/2# draw weight just in compression losses to the wood. I now have 2 3/4 reflex and expect that to drop to about 2 1/4" by the time I shoot it in. 2" was my goal.

As you can see in this pic I had an unexpected surprise, a little black dot developed into a hole that goes almost 1/3 the way across the limb. I decided not to touch that area anymore but it does leave me with some lack of confidence in the bow. Hopefully I cna test the bow out today if the sunshine cooperates, my chrono doesn't seem to accurate in bright sunlight even with the diffusers, I may have to wait till morning when it is overcast. 245 fps with 200 grain arrow is the goal.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 12:37:44 pm »
Ouchy! I don't like that either Steve. Better wear glasses yanking on it. I hate to take a static to the eye.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 12:49:49 pm »
    Yep Chris, I wasn't too happy about that knot. Another concern I have is that the belly and boo back together measure just a little over 9/16 thick. On a 64" bow I like the thickness to be at least 3/4" before I consider even cutting in a shelf. I know on a shorter bow I can go a little thinner but not sure how much before the handle pops off. So once I cut in the shelf I will have to test that out. Not out of the woods till the bow is finsished and shot in. Either way I feel the bow is a success and I plan to build another with a few minor changes. I can see why Mark likes this design so much, the force draw is phenominal! It builds weight right at the start and then falls off about 15" into the draw. I have high hopes for this one or one very similar.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 01:16:23 pm »
Could you just narrow the pass up more rather than cut a shelf in? Maybe that would keep it rigid and get you closer to center anyway.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 01:25:11 pm »
Could you just narrow the pass up more rather than cut a shelf in? Maybe that would keep it rigid and get you closer to center anyway.

I htought about that but the little flight arrows are real narrow and stiff, best shot right at center if possible, so I need to get as close as I can. I cut it about 1/16 before center, if it lets go I will just use a power lam in the next bow. To stay in the simple composite class I have to keep my built up handle area within about 12" I think, they don't specify where the building up of the handle has to happen so a power lam would be acceptable.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 02:53:57 pm »
245 fps!  Wow

mikekeswick

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 04:02:41 pm »
Looking good! I'm waiting in anticipation for the chrono results  >:D
I haven't posted any of them for a while but i'm still on the r/d static trip. For me this is close to if not the fastest design for a wood bow. My black locust one is still pushing 195 - 200fps at 8.5 gpp, it's dropped a bit but not much. For quite a while I tried to make just plain reflexed statics but the wood loses too much in compression by full draw. Deflex is good!

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 05:33:41 pm »
  Well, I went to test it out and the weight had come back up. I get this quite often on reflexed bows just off the tiller tree then rested. Hitting 51#@21" so I need to tiller it back down to 24" and 50#. I thought I would run just one quick short draw test on the chrono to see how the efficiency was looking, I drew it about 17" and hit 195 with a light arrow so it is on track to do what i am looking for. Knock sheered off on first shot so I will repair that and drop the weight a bit. My electronic scale might be more accurate than the hanging scale that I tested with while tillering so that might be part of the weight gain.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 06:12:40 pm »
That's pretty good Steve.  You probably lost a bit of speed when the nock failed
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline avcase

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 03:56:57 am »
The bow looks like it has some great potential for blowing past the 400 yard line.

Don't forget you can go down to a 23" arrow in the primitive flight divisions, so you don't have to take it all the way to 24" if it feels like it is right on the edge.

Alan