Author Topic: Flight bow in progress  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Badger

Flight bow in progress
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:49:28 pm »
  Here is a bow I am just getting started on, I have it cleaned up and very roughly floor tillered, I just glued on some ipe nocks. The bow is 54" nock to nock, BBO, target weight 50#@24".  I copied Marks designs to a large extent with a few touches of my own.  At present the bow weighs 19 oz, my projected finished weight is 17 oz. If I go to far below that and start to show signs of stress I will drop the bow to 35#.

Starting with 3 3/4 iches of reflex I don't expect it to creep up as I tiller because I did not glue it into perry reflex. I pretty much formed the wood then wrapped it with maybe 2" of relex induced under light pressure. These have a higher than normal failure rate so I will post as I go and hope it don't break. Target speed is a minimum 245 fps with 200 grain arrow, otherwise just another practice bow.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:25:35 pm by Badger »

Offline Badger

Re: Flight bow in progress
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:22:16 pm »
  Progress, I have it out to 50#@15" on the long string, will continue until I get to 50#@20" then brace the bow. About 1/4" less reflex.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »
Looking fine so far Steve. Could be a screama'!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »
  Here we are at 17" and 50#. Left limb bending a little too much mid and right limb a bit stiff, I should have that evened up pretty good by the time I hit 20" then I will brace. Most important thing I pay attention to on a flight bow is the condition of the wood. Makes a huge difference in the end product. I try not to loose any weight due to compression, regardless of visible set.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:37:41 pm »
V Interesting...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 07:14:35 pm »
Here it is at 50#@20" on the long string and me bracing the bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 07:18:09 pm »
    Thats it for today, scary part tomorrow. So far only lost 1/4" of starting reflex. I have 4" to go.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 08:34:37 pm »
Very nice Steve.  Flight bows are such fun to make  ::)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 08:35:51 pm »
Those statics look too cool Steve.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:31 pm »
That's awesome steve! Thank you for sharing some of your work, you are an inspiration :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:21:04 pm »
Sweet...I love tillering those kinda designs...they give me a boner!!! I find first brace is always fun with those...I find it best to brace with no more than ten pounds left,and you have to have it at least ~4" for a first brace otherwise if too much weight left and too low of a brace and they come flipping back on ya...lol  :laugh: getting your bend as close to perfect before brace is very critical with those...looking good from here ;) ....I got lams all prepped out ready for a short r/d static,but haven't glued it up yet...been busy...lil rocket launchers they are

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:26:38 pm »
   The thing I was a little unsure about was how the mass figure would factor in for a deflexed bow. I build very few deflexed bows. I know they make for lower mass but not sure how much. I am at 17.9 right now, no more than 1/2 oz left in tillering and about 1.5 oz comming out of handle. I will finish at about 16 oz, 1 oz below projected. I kind of hate doing buildalongs because of the risk of breaking but thats real life and how it goes sometimes.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »
What's your front profile widths if ya care to share? Your on the edge for sure,but from what I can see I think you still have enough wood for your intended specs....the last one I did was 62" ntn n 57@27" n only weighed 18 or 19 ounces finished...and it held its shape great and the wood was still very healthy

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:10 pm »
54" is pretty short but that's what you need for flight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:01:27 pm »