Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 14327 times)

Offline Rick Wallace

Re: Facebook
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2014, 02:51:21 am »
I like it,I have my local news,weather.sherriff/fire dept,out of state friends that I know personally,kids,ect, . If you know how to use the privacy settings and only keep people you know on your page,its no different than posting here. I saw one comment that it will bust up a marrage,,Bull,if you let that happen its your own stupidity,not Face book.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2014, 04:04:07 am »
I used to like it.  Privacy settings only help to a certain degree - like when you are dealing with normal people that you disagree with.  I started out on facebook when i was single.  I was a bachelor for a long time, was very social, and had probably 600 friends on facebook at one time. During that time, i had two or three really crazy relationships that ended badly.   Then i settled down and got married.  I found out then that if someone wants your marriage to have problems, when they want to hurt you and your spouse, when they have a real evil intent, "privacy settings" won't stop it.   They become friends of friends of friends of yours and post pictures of long ago, lies, and gossip and disinformation....   Perhaps they use other people's pages to make a few more hurtful posts.  They change user names and come at you from different directions.  After you spend enough time drying tears from people you love, and enough time in damage control, you realize that the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.  Our troubles have been very few since we deactivated our facebook pages.  That's no bull.     
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:07:36 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2014, 08:58:55 am »
I occasionally get "friend" requests from young women that I have never seen or heard of.  I just ignore them but I also wonder what that is about.  Are there really that many people out there that are in such need for a friend?  They really picked on the wrong man in any case as I'm a bit of a loner
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 10:24:18 am »
600 friends? wow  no wonder,I have about 70,,90% family,almost all the others I know personally,,maybe 3 or 4 that post here on PA,  We make our own choices I reckon.
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2014, 01:19:59 am »
Yeah, it can get out of control of it if you aren't careful.  Going from single life to being married and being on facebook sure didn't work for me.  To each his own.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Marks

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2014, 11:57:13 am »
I occasionally get "friend" requests from young women that I have never seen or heard of.  I just ignore them but I also wonder what that is about.  Are there really that many people out there that are in such need for a friend?  They really picked on the wrong man in any case as I'm a bit of a loner

Are most of those young girls scantily clad? I get those a lot. A lot of times if you look at their profile you'll notice they only have a few male friends and their facebook page was only recently started. I block those in a hurry.

Coincidently I also get a lot of request from old people I don't know. I assume they know my parents. I typically don't accept them either.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 02:16:48 am »
It must be a younger generation thing.

I am totally amazed when I see young people walking side by side and texting at the same time, most likely to each other  :).  I've seen some of them with what looks like permanently deformed thumbs

You know that Zombie crap everyone just loves.....well that is cell phones and facebook. Watch them, they all look like Zombies.....have NO use other than business, and I make my wife do that...she's half Zombie anyway! The goods are you can get some time to do what you want... without distraction...you don't have to sit in some mall waiting for the wife to make a simple decision on what shirt, bra, underwear they want (who the hell cares it's underwear) they can look on their phone now....that's a positive I guess.  :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2014, 05:21:52 pm »
I use Facebook , got on it about four years ago , first two years I could count my friends on it with one hand . Started adding some of the folks from our Selfbow club and then lately I've added a few more plus joins a couple traditional groups as well as some fly fishing and kayak fishing groups and a traditional bow building group ( the groups are nice because all the gossip is left out ). 
Some of the guys at work said I wasn't very social , thought that FB might help , they still don't think I'm real social because I don't set and talk sports with them .