Author Topic: The insanity continues....2nd Pike, 2" now 46" 52#@26"  (Read 13988 times)

Offline JonW

Re: The insanity continues....2 more full draw shorties
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 08:11:53 pm »
You do a bang up job with that Northern white wood but you know OSAGE IS KING!

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:15 pm »
Sweet Jesus man, dont get me started.
rich

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 09:41:20 pm »
Awesome!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:45:18 pm »
Hey Rich,
I'm a little worried about ya man.

DO YOU EVER SLEEP!!

I would love to spend a day watching you as you make ..oh I don't know ...maybe 2 or 3 shorties.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 10:08:39 pm »
Looks to me like the tips did give a little bend in that 2nd full draw pic. at 28" and the tiller looks real good still when pulled that extra inch. Don't know how you guys can get these shorties to bend so far.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:35 pm »
Insanity is right.  :o :o    Way to bend that puppy!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 11:43:42 pm »
Man Rich, you got those short bows figured out! Little bit of dueling short bows with you and Jon ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 01:19:59 am »
Rich, you just made my day!  When i first saw that stave I knew it had your name on it.  That is an awesome tiller.  28" draw on a 50" bow!!  Who the hell does stuff like that?!   ;D 

That ironwood is just as amazing.  I will be watching to see how your experiments end up.  Have you ended up with any set in either of those bows?  From the pics it looks like they didn't.  Next time I come across another piece that just isn't quite long enough for normal folks to make a bow out of it I promise I am sending it to you brother! :laugh: 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 03:21:03 am »
I'm interested in the set!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 08:05:32 am »
Trick photography and photoshop, gotta be!! >:D  You sure have those things cranked around there Rich.  Nice job.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 08:57:33 am »
Awesome bend Rich! That's insane man... :o
                                                                    Don       

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 08:57:50 am »
More, already?? It looks like you are really on a binge, Mr. Rich! More sweet looking bows, for sure! ;D
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline autologus

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 09:09:52 am »
I swear you could get a hunting weight bow out of a Popsicle stick, awesome bows as always.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 09:13:55 am »
Jon....Here is the osage 50" er @ 28" of draw.....the weight stayed the same though because (I think) the flipped tips might be weak enough to take away some of the overall resistance anyway....here it is.

Wouldn't that be called set?  ??? 

Offline half eye

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:41 am »
First off, thanks for the comments fellas

Howard / Mike in the original pics of the bows (002 for osage & 010 for ironwood) compared to these I'm posting now you can see that the Ironwood has changed very little and after I retillered the osage it now lies dead flat. I did not retiller the osage anywhere except the outer 20% so I'm calling that about one inch now that it's all shot in (loss of the 1" I steamed into the center before tillering)

The ironwood had nothing done to it, just tillered and drawn. In the first picture you see it as it started (slight deflex and whoopty-doos) and you can see in the pic from today it is little changed so if there is any set it's less than a 1/2". But ya can compare the pics for yourselves.

Blackhawk,  either I did not speak clearly enough for you or you miss-understood. Since the osage bow was retillered from stiff tip circle to full circle, the outer parts of both limbs were scraped down quite a bit, thus making them not as strong as when they were stiff....I believe that difference in strength is what offset the added couple of pounds that should have come with the extra 1" of draw. So to answer your question the retiller did not result in more set, the flat bow as it sits now is just like you all do when you start by cookin in a couple inches of reflex so your bow will come out flat, I steamed in 1" and its now flat so I'm calling it 1" set   Compare the pictures for your self and you decide.
rich