Author Topic: Best Way To Tiller Ipe  (Read 1355 times)

Offline arachnid

Best Way To Tiller Ipe
« on: June 16, 2014, 11:59:00 am »
Hi guys.

I'm working on a new ipe bow and my scraper doesn't seem to remove that much wood off the belly. I tried sharpning it but it didn't do a lot.
Is There any better way to work with ipe?

Thanks
Dor

Offline Badger

Re: Best Way To Tiller Ipe
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:06:33 pm »
  If I am making a flat bow I use a scraper primarily and very slightly round the belly, as I get closer to final tiller I mostly scrape down the middle to flatten it back out. If I am making a rounded belly longbow I use a nicholson rasp and a scraper, mostly a scraper.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:08:03 pm »
  I should have added that I use a belt sander to get it "slightly bending" You can go too far real easily if not careful.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:17:00 pm »
Id try to get a burr going on your scraper. I have 3 various scrapers I use, all straight edged. I just worked an ipe bow this weekend and all 3 peeled the wood right off in nice curls. Matter of fact It is probably the nicest working wood Ive ever used.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:25:41 pm »
  If I am making a flat bow I use a scraper primarily and very slightly round the belly, as I get closer to final tiller I mostly scrape down the middle to flatten it back out. If I am making a rounded belly longbow I use a nicholson rasp and a scraper, mostly a scraper.

Wouldn't that concentrat to much pressure on the crown of the belly?

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »

Wouldn't that concentrat to much pressure on the crown of the belly?

If you read my post I said slight round, it is still almost a flat belly section, as you get closer and scrape down the middle you are now flattening out the slightly rounded section so you end up with a flat belly section. Slightly rounded means the center is maybe 1/32 thicker than the edges, it just makes scraping a bit easier and if it is confucing just keep it flat.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 01:27:35 pm »
I like a shallow "D" on woods like ipe. Same as Steve pretty much. Especially when they get real narrow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »
O.k I think I got it.
Thanks guys.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »
I take a rasp and make a 1/4" wide chamfer from fade to tip on each side of the belly to get a good round shape started. Then tiller and smooth it off at the same time with a scraper. Makes for perfection!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 03:28:47 pm »
I take a rasp and make a 1/4" wide chamfer from fade to tip on each side of the belly to get a good round shape started. Then tiller and smooth it off at the same time with a scraper. Makes for perfection!

You keep the belly rounded or do you flaten it? ( I'm making a flatbow).

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »
This particular bow Im referencing has a shallow "D" cross section. Round edges are good on all flat bows to. You can still chamfer the edges 1/4" and make them nice and rounded. Just be sure your backing is thinned down and rounded wel, or else you'll have very little ipe left when you hit weight. I wouldn't go over 1 1/4" wide.