Author Topic: Grain angle on wood backing strips? (pics added)  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Jodocus

Grain angle on wood backing strips? (pics added)
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:47:40 pm »
I got some backing strips of european ash (Fraxinus Excelsior), wich is a real tension strong wood. The grain is mostly quite parallel to the surface, but at some spots the angle increases to up to 20, 25 degrees. Now I now the guy who cut them is a very experienced bowyer. But on the other hand, I would not allow myself such a steep angle on any stave bow I make.

How much of an angle do you allow for in backing strips?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:45:26 am by Jodocus »
Don't shoot!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Grain angle on wood backing strips?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 08:35:17 pm »
Are the backings quartersawn, rift sawn or flat sawn?
And by "the angle increases to up to 20, 25 degrees", do you mean the GROWTH RINGS running at that angle to the side of the board?
I'm just not quite sure what you mean. It's multi-interpretative, so to speak. A picture would help a lot...

Ash is in general quite sensitive to grain run out. With its really open early wood, it tends to quickly give way between the rings. A quartersawn or rift sawn backing will tolerate a bit more ring run-outs than flat sawn.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:33:02 am »
thanks darksoul. It's quartersawn, and the grain runoff is is diagonal.  I'll be able to upload a pic by tomorrow evening, I guess.
Don't shoot!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:50:02 am »
Ive never had luck with any severe run out on a backing of any type, splinters always pop. Ive also got some from "experienced" bowyers. One was out in the PNW. starts with an "R".  I called the fella to discuss the finer points of backing strip properties and false advertisement. Last time I purchased there. Pics would be nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:45:09 am »
ok, here you go...
Don't shoot!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Grain angle on wood backing strips? (pics added)
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:58 am »
That's no good my friend. Your bow back will look like a porcupine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:50:23 am »
thanks Pearl drums, that's what I thuoght... too bad, but glad I asked.  ;)
Don't shoot!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 09:52:47 am »
Plane it flat and clean and use it for handle build ups, tip build ups and the sort. Those "v's" you hightlighted will pop every time, trust me..:) Been there.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 11:44:13 am »
   Planed and finished they would make you a nice bowyers tool box. Trying to explain to someoene what you need for bow wood is an excersize in futility. Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who gets it.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 12:34:24 pm »
  Trying to explain to someoene what you need for bow wood is an excersize in futility. Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who gets it.

True. And those who get it usually think you're some kind of Diva  ::)

Don't shoot!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 12:58:54 pm »
Good thing those Diva's are eager to help others.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »
Those are terrible! I have a hard time believing that the guy who cut them is a very experienced bowyer. These may be used for cores, but even then they are marginal. I would request my money back.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 05:06:52 pm »
Luckily I did not buy them. I got them as a sweetener in a deal that actually was about arrow shafts I made with somebody else (and with those I'm very happy).  ;D
Don't shoot!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 05:31:22 pm »
Luckily I did not buy them. I got them as a sweetener in a deal that actually was about arrow shafts I made with somebody else (and with those I'm very happy).  ;D

Probably why he threw them in the deal, they were worthless to him
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 08:15:48 am »
One more backing tid bit. If its not mostly straight, laterally, it will pull the core around with it when the clamps are removed and the glue line is left holding it straight. Try to find backers that are straight laterally. Even if those had good grain they would make for one twisted, tilted bow. You can only make up for so much lateral movement in a glue up.