Author Topic: I could screw up a one car funeral procession...  (Read 7028 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

I could screw up a one car funeral procession...
« on: June 10, 2014, 03:24:14 pm »
...even if I was the guy riding in the box.

Went to the garage to work on a bow this morning and found my expensive dial caliper in the bottom of my tool box where a bottle of superglue had leaked onto it.   >:(     Now it permanently reads 187/1000ths.

I guess I might as well try mending it to death by soaking the whole thing in acetone.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paulsemp

Re: I could screw up a one car funeral procession...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:31:29 pm »
Gasoline..... Don't forget the match

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 04:00:31 pm »
I had a batch of pitch glue melt in the tool tray of my arrow box where all of the files and rasps are kept...now semi-permanently attached.  ???
I've got old age for an excuse, John.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:03:32 pm »
My calipers are attached to my hands as fingers! They get glue on them all the time..:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:01:49 pm »
If you soak it in acetone it crazes the plastic on the dial face and loosens the calibration strip. Pretty much ruins the whole thing. But this has never happened to me :-[ :-[ Oh, it messes up a camera pretty bad too.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 06:08:28 am »
I feel you pain JW , I am bad about that kind of stuff also. Broke 5 digital Cameras last year in 3 months and can't keep a watch. :) Miss Joanie wasn't real  happy with me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 11:57:15 am »
If you soak it in acetone it crazes the plastic on the dial face and loosens the calibration strip. Pretty much ruins the whole thing. But this has never happened to me :-[ :-[ Oh, it messes up a camera pretty bad too.

Might as well drill a hole right thru the face and screw it to the wall as a reminder!

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:13 pm »
One day I cut the arrow shelf for a lefty archer.  It was a shallow cut but it contributed to major twist after cutting in a shelf on the proper side. I could not fix it after that. Needless to say it was fire-wood.... :-[    And it was the a perfectly tillered bow.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 01:27:56 pm »
Gosh JW that's like leaving the rubber worms on top
 of all the lures and hooks in the tackle box.
Good luck with the calipers
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 01:55:01 pm »

I too and familiar with the feeling, when you suddenly find something like that!  On my way back from teaching a clown class in Ocala, I had loaned some Baby shampoo, to one of the students, and as I was leaving, he came out with it, so I just stuck in in my little bag, behind the seat, with my Astra A-80 .45 pistol.  4-5 months later, and I am looking in my truck, and decided to check on my pistol, and see how it is doing, and I almost cried!  The Baby shampoo, had leaked out, and soaked the gun.  One whole side, and part of the other, was covered in rust!  Even the clip in the gun it self was crusted with rust, and the spare also!  I had to disassemble it, and steel wool it, and re blue the clips, and steel parts, as it had an alloy frame, and I had to use aluma black on that part, and it did not turn out as nice as i wanted.  So it is still in my truck, but not in a bag, and with no Baby shampoo!  Sorry to hear about your caliper.  I assume that nail polish remover is pretty much the same as acetone?  Is it digital, or manual?  I was wondering if a soak, or wetting with liquid wrench would help.
Anyway, I know that sickening feeling, when you discover something like this.  But someone's lively hood, is probably dependent, on you're getting a new one, that will go in a proper tool drawer, of on the wall. ;)

Wayne

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »
Try using hot soapy water and let it soak for awhile
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »
J-dub Ill send you my 8" dial set if yours don't come clean. Ill never use them. They are left over from my shop floor days in the early 90's. I believe they are Mitutoyo's, very good stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 06:51:05 pm »
holy crap stickbender what kinda clown class was that >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 08:41:34 pm »
Marc: I can't imagine hot and soapy would debond cyanoacrylic glue. Anyway, it's a little late for that because they went into the acetone this morning.  The plastic lens over the dial is already cloudy.  I think I just wasted some perfectly good acetone chasing this chimera.

Pearlie: Wow! Mitutoyos?  Aw man, mine were good, but those are the Ferrari's! 

bow101: That is almost as frustrating as cutting the nocks in the wrong direction, piking the nocks off the bow, retillering, and then recutting them again ....  and again cutting them in the wrong direction!   :'(  For those that have seen the film, "The Gods Must Be Crazy", all I can say is, I don't wanna talk about it.

Having me in the shop some days is like having two good men gone.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:45 pm »
holy crap stickbender what kinda clown class was that >:D

It's called the "Serious Art of Clowning" ;)  I and  three, and sometime four others, teach a firefighter oriented, clown class.  It is a week long class, and it is just the basics. (types of characters, proper costume for each character, make up type for each character, applying make up, clown ethics, characterization, movements, expressions, improv, history of clowning, etc.   We have an advanced class, later on.  We teach the class, for fire safety, etc. We have taught around 1500-2000 so far.  From all over the U.S. .   As for my pistol in my truck....... "I never leave home without something." ;)   Never know when might you run into "Killer clowns from space!" :o ::)

Wayne

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:35:40 pm by stickbender »