Author Topic: Paul's bow  (Read 8497 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: Paul's bow
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 12:47:10 am »
I like it ! Nice job ,Pappy! Just finished reading your "Gator " article in this month's mag . Great stuff ! Thanks for sharing. 8)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 01:16:43 am »
Real nice bow.  What an honor!  Are those pins in the tips?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 04:49:40 am »
Classic lines Pappy - NICE ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 06:30:37 am »
Thanks Guys,ya Greg I hate building one with that long of a draw,but after 100 or more shots by him Friday it seemed to be still holding up nicely,take the flipped tips out of the mix and still had 1 1/2 of reflex and started with about 2 after I finished it and shot it in myself ,trying to overdraw it.  :) Peacebow_Coos,yes they are pinned like a knife scale,I had one come off which usually don't happen but decided since it was for someone else I would be sure it stayed on,turned out looking pretty cool,at least to me and he really liked it so I guess that is all that matters. One of theses days Chris  ;) :) Thanks lostarrow glad you enjoyed the article. Thanks again for the comments.  ;) :)
 Pappy
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:24:14 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 08:02:19 am »
Saw it on life is good and thought it was very cool! I like pinning the overlays idea ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 09:33:45 am »
Great job Pappy that draw is sweet.  I'm working on one with a longer draw than I'm used to right now.  I'm with Greg,  but I have to try ::).  Hope it looks a quarter as sweet as yours when I'm done.  Great job again ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 01:12:04 pm »
Man!  That's a beauty Pappy!  Lucky feller!  Josh

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 04:44:45 pm »
 Beautiful work on that long draw stick...Looks like you got a happy body guard there to ;)
                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline RyanR

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 05:08:32 pm »
That one turned out really nice.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 05:24:56 am »
That one sure turned out nice.  We've got that same kind of rat snake down here.   Those skins go good with that style of handle wrap.  I have let them pass by in the past since I considered them a "good snake".  After seeing this bow, they better crawl a little faster.  :)  Great looking bow Pappy.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 05:49:32 am »
Ya H Rhodes I usually do also, just needed this one. ;) :) Thanks guy for the comments,much appreciated. :) He called yesterday and is loving it,he plans on shooting it in Cloverdale this weekend. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2014, 07:44:19 pm »
Nice one
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 10:31:49 pm »
Pappy,

Nice work!  I have a piece of osage I have been looking at making that same design with.  Does osage lend its self that that howard hill style bow?  Would you do it again? 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 05:39:13 am »
Osage will make most any kind of bow,yes I have built a few with this kind of draw and will probably do it again,just don't care for it,most I build at least for myself is around 26 draw, and to be honest when I measure folks that want to build a bow they almost all say 28/29 but most come in at 25/26/ 27. Lots of folks say the draw 28/29 but truly very few really do,at least from what I have seen. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

owlbait

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 12:26:22 pm »
Smooth, flowing lines that even a neophyte like me can see Pappy. Bows that are made to the shooter should last as long as short draw bows that are made to shoot and look pretty, especially with experienced bowyers like you crafting them. Superb work!