Author Topic: Dings in a yew back  (Read 2692 times)

Don Case

Dings in a yew back
« on: June 08, 2014, 11:39:57 pm »
I'm working on my first yew bow and guess what, yew is a lot softer than ocean spray :-[ :-[ I now have a few dings on the back. Is there a good way to get then out? I put a wad of wet cloth on them and then hit it with a hot iron. So-so success. Any other methods?
Thanks
Don

Offline Hamish

Re: Dings in a yew back
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:03 am »
The hot iron method that you tried is good, but it depends on how bad the crushing is, as sometimes it is bad enough to sever fibres.

If you still have enough sapwood/heartwood and the bow is at the start of tillering work  down sapwood an extra 1/16". If not, burnish the whole back.
Otherwise you could burnish the back, then sand the surface, then back with rawhide. I would back a yew bow if it is going to be used for hunting, not for any worries about it breaking in tension with a pristine back, but as protection against getting dings in it.
                                        Hamish.

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 12:46:38 pm »
Is there any reason not to burnish as soon as possible? Being the clumsy jerk that I am getting it as hard as possible as soon as possible would be an asset. I guess that's always an asset isn't it >:D >:D

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:49:09 pm »
That's exactly why I don't care for yew. A rawhide backing is a simple fix for the situation.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:11:57 pm »
Burnish.  If you burnish with a bit of elbow grease you can make even moderate dings disappear.  You can burnish whenever you want.  No reason not to do it early on in the process.  Then "spot burnish" as needed to remove dings from adventurous hunting trips or unwieldy serving jigs  ;D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 01:50:01 pm »
Burnish.  If you burnish with a bit of elbow grease you can make even moderate dings disappear.  You can burnish whenever you want.  No reason not to do it early on in the process.  Then "spot burnish" as needed to remove dings from adventurous hunting trips or unwieldy serving jigs  ;D.

Bingo!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 07:26:27 pm »
I burnished it. Nice and shiny!! If I want to put Varathane or similar on it should I sand it with fine paper to give it a little tooth?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 10:11:19 pm »
No need don. A finish will still take to it just fine.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:43 am »
Good info,glad to hear the burnishing thing will take out the dings, I have already put a ding in the Yew I just finished, I am hard on bows, ???sounds like a good fix. Thanks.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:27:12 am »
The dings didn't come right out but it's a big improvement and much harder. I think burnishing as soon as possible will be a big help to my clumsiness.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 12:22:01 pm »
Personally, I like to go over it with some 0000 steel wool before applying finish. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso