Author Topic: Cutting Osage in Summer?  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Cade

Cutting Osage in Summer?
« on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:56 pm »
Sorry if this has already been asked, but there are a couple Osage trees I would like to cut down, but the sap is up. Can I still cut it now or do I need to wait. I want to cut it as soon as possible to let it dry, but I know impatient bowyers break bows so I'm willing to wait.

Offline Badger

Re: Cutting Osage in Summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:35:26 pm »
  All the sap is in the cambium layer, the wood just carries water. I haven't cut any osage myself but I know with hickory and many other woods the bark comes off easier when the sap is up.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:45:35 pm »
I cut some about 3 or 4 week's ago when the leaves were really coming on and the sap would clog up my saw about every 4 cuts or so through the main trunk. My chain would get really hot and I would have to clean the oiler out after those 4 or 5 cuts. Needless to say I pretty much ruint my chain.  But the bark would just about peel off by hand after it was split.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:46:09 am »
I haven't had any problems cutting osage in the summer.  Seal the ends as soon as you can.  Don't leave the exposed ends of the logs in direct sunlight for very long.  It will make it check faster.  Make sure you don't get over heated and drink plenty of water.  Post some pictures of your haul.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:55:32 am »
I should have said, that ain't stopping me from going to cut some more this weekend! Good luck, and as Osage said drink plenty of water!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 07:08:17 am »
Cut it when ever works best for you...I prefer to cut it in cooler weather if I can because it becomes quite the chore,and me and heat n high humidity don't get along very well...I had to salvage some that someone cut down once in 100 degree heat,n it about killed me

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 07:56:09 am »
Any time is OK,just a little sticker in the summer with all the white sap coming out. ;) :) Like Clint said seal it good and keep it out of the sun as much as possable.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cade

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:56 am »
Thank you for all the replies. So just to make sure I understand, I can cut it, but it might clog my chain saw. Do you have to seal it differently with all the sap coming out? And will the extra sap make it take longer to dry? Lastly, I tried to post pictures on here with the attachments box, but it said they were to big, is there another way?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:01:17 am »
Cut any bow wood whenever you can cut it and cut enough so you don't have to do it again too soon.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:21:50 am »
I have cut a ton of osage in the summer, literally. If your saw clogs up I suspect it wasn't sharp enough. I have never had one of my saws clog cutting osage and had white sap run out of the logs like latex out of a rubber tree. I started with a 14" Poulan years ago and moved on to an 029 Stihl with an 18" bar that throws chunks out when it cuts provided my chain is as sharp as it needs to be. 

Offline Cade

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 01:26:29 am »
Thank you everybody! I decided to go ahead and cut an osage and a hickory today. It worked out fine.I'll split them in the next couple of days but already have them sealed. Still trying to figure out how to post pics.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 08:20:43 am »
You might want to put several coats on the ends to seal them up. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left