Author Topic: Persimmon, will it make a bow?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Pawtrap

• Stobbin Stiks & Flintlocks
Persimmon, will it make a bow?
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »
Hey yall, I have 5 or so persimmon trees that are 18 to 25 inches across the stump, if I cut em, they are the largest I seen in a long time, just wanted to know if any of yall have made a bow out of persimmon.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Persimmon, will it make a bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:06:14 pm »
Yes, persimmon will make a bow.
Run a search to find several dozens of thread related to this wood species: https://www.google.com/#q=site:www.primitivearcher.com%2F+persimmon
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Wiley

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:47:17 am »
Yes, but I don't know that I would want to deal with a >2 foot wide persimmon. Prepare to split it in half where it falls unless you have a tractor or a boom with a winch. It was arduous trying to move a 6 foot long long 8-10 inches wide from woods to shelter.

It tends to grow very twisted. Does not split easily. Blunts cutting tools some more than others.

Its some pretty mean stuff, and after dealing with the aforementioned persimmon, I would look right past anything larger unless taking it to the saw mill and I wouldn't have a way to get it out of the woods. All that being said persimmon is bow wood,  but a wood that won't make anything about it easy for you.

Trees that large might have a decent sized black core. Interesting if sawn, but most if not all would be taken off during shaping the bow.  If some could be saved it could make for fine ebony overlays.

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:31:58 pm »
Persimmon is the only tree we have that is in the Ebony family if that tells you anything about its density and hardness.  It is some burly stuff.  >:D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:44:36 pm »
I'd like to see a picture of this tree.  If it were me I'd probably just climb it and saw a branch off.   >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pawtrap

• Stobbin Stiks & Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:11:54 pm »
these trees are very straight, the bark doesnt even twist up the tree, the first limbs are bout 20 feet up, these trees are prob 70 foot tall. That's why I thought of cutting them

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 06:31:12 pm »
these trees are very straight, the bark doesnt even twist up the tree, the first limbs are bout 20 feet up, these trees are prob 70 foot tall. That's why I thought of cutting them

That sounds like some AWESOME timber!  I don't think I've ever seen Persimmon that big or anywhere near so straight as that!

OneBow

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »
Even though the blocky bark appears to not twist, my money is on the wood twisting severely.  Every one I have split has almost made a 180 degree twist in 6 feet.....

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 08:14:19 pm »
Even though the blocky bark appears to not twist, my money is on the wood twisting severely.  Every one I have split has almost made a 180 degree twist in 6 feet.....
My experiences with it has been the same. I would like to see a pic of a 70' tall persimmon. The biggest ive seen around here are about 18" across the stump and 50' tall.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »
Good to see you here Pawtrap. Sounds like you may be on your own with that tree. Better stick to Black Locust... ::)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 09:33:36 pm »
  In most area yu can find a guy with a portable saw mill, they charge about $100.00 per hour but can cut a lot of wood in an hour. I wouldn't want to deal with a tree that size but it might be worth sawing.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:30:58 am »
Not near that big here in Texas ( diospyros texana).  15-20 foot is a good size tree and 30 feet is huge and rare.  The wood is very dense and hard as an iron rod nearly.  Very twisted as the others have said.  I've got one started right now, a little shorty.  First time I've worked with it, but I have seen others.  Good bow wood.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 06:21:10 am »
We have them that tall and large in TN. But like was said I have cut several that looked straight/no twist in the bark at all and if you get one log to split straight you are very lucky,What Badger said might be the ticket. It does make a good bow if you can find a clean piece,little knots that don't look that bad on the back usually go much deeper and cause problems,so look for a clean piece and it will make a fine bow,beautiful also,gives off a kind of purple color when finished. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gmc

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 10:25:52 pm »
Better listen to Wiley.

Golf Club makers love the stuff......
Central Kentucky