Author Topic: An od man I met at Twin Oaks  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Badger

An od man I met at Twin Oaks
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:53:38 pm »
      A couple of years ago when I was at twin oaks I met an older gentleman who was recovering from a stroke. His name is James, he wanted to learn how to make a bow and I ended up spending the whole 3 days hanging out with him making bows. He had a little trouble with his speech but was sharp mentaly and caught on quickly. We stayed in touch and every few months talk on the telephone.

He had me laughing today, his speech has gotten a lot better. I think he has made about 200 bows since he left twin oaks and has about half the men in his town making bows now. I never fail to be impressed with the innovations he comes up with. He was telling me today he keeps his hot box cranked up to 150 degrees and can get his hickory and white woods down to 6% in 3 weeks. I woudn't be surprised if he didn't start his own version of twin oaks in Arkansas before too long. Really hard to say how much and how many people Pappy and Twin oaks have helped over the years. His wife tells me that bow making gave james a whole new life.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: An od man I met at Twin Oaks
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:05:31 pm »
I spoke with him this year and he seems to be doing much better.  He had a friend with him this year and James was helping him with a bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:27:15 pm »
Cool stuff...I remember that year,n he was soaking everything up like a sponge..always fun watching guys grow and to see how far they've come in so little time....sounds like James has turned into another one of us bow making crack head junkies... lol  :laugh:

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 08:11:07 pm »
I like to hear good news like that.
Thanks for posting
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:39:27 pm »
Good to hear Steve.  Stories about the "sickness" spreading like a plague always make me smile.  There's no telling how many people Pappy and his crew have inspired.  And I'm sure you've inspired more than a handful yourself :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:25:09 am »
Thanks for the update Steve,always good to hear,I meet him also,he took to it like a duck to water. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:09:45 am »
Very cool.  Love stories like this.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:15:27 am »
Badger, that was a great story and good for you for sticking with him for the weekend. I would bet your dedication that weekend did more for his re-hab than any other treatment he had been going thru.

I would say that every archer needs to spend a weekend at Pappy's at least once in their life time.  It is a very special place.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 12:42:54 am »
I thought from the title that you may have meet gundoc >:D.....seriously good on you Its great to hear of such great results!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Scottski

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »
What part of Arkansas is he from?
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 09:48:01 pm »
What part of Arkansas is he from?

I think he is about 20 miles south of Little Rock

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:11:22 pm »
That's a good story to remember. Just a little kindness at just the right time made a huge impact on that man and now he's inspiring others. Who knows how far that can go.