Author Topic: Zebra for a belly wood  (Read 2175 times)

Offline pincushin

Zebra for a belly wood
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:45:19 pm »
I have sone straitened grained zebra wood would it work for a belly wood on an elb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Zebra for a belly wood
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »
What do you mean "straightened grained zebra wood"?  Pics will give us a better idea of what you have than just you trying to describe it.   I'm not familiar with the compression properties of zebra wood so I can't tell you anything about it as a bow wood, lam or self.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:28:32 pm »
I've just used it for tip overlays and risers, but just from working it it does not seem to have the properties of good bow wood. And I think I have seen this opinion on other threads as well. Seems very soft and I have to be careful rasping as the wood can just pull apart on the grain lines. Obviously I can't speak to its elastic properties, but it seems pretty far from ipe or Osage in terms of belly woods.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:56:32 am »
Seems to Me, that Matt (Wirwicki) tried it backed with Hickory once a few years ago - the belly Chrysaled horribly. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:10:38 am »
It makes a good core wood.