Author Topic: Heat treating black locust  (Read 10570 times)

Offline Pawtrap

• Stobbin Stiks & Flintlocks
Re: Heat treating black locust
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 08:42:59 pm »
Thanks much yall, good info, I will show pics of bows in progress and maybe a few "Flinchlocks" I build too,

Offline bambule

Re: Heat treating black locust
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 04:56:53 am »
   I love black locust but will no longer spend money on the staves because I too often screw them up. Black locust likes a lot of working limb. I use heat to induce reflex but on the one recurve I did I used steam and I steamed it about twice as long as I would osage, a full hour on the tips. All you guys who are good with black locust are my idols! I have a couple right now with minor chrysaling in them that still shoot great but once they chrysal I loose confidence in the bow. I think the heat treating locust aggravates the chrysal problem but could easily be wrong on this.

The same is it for me. I've never build a BL bow without chrysals. I thought it is because of the wood but a friend of mine build a chrysalfree BL bow from a stave out of my stash - so it must be my fault.
Also heat treating or extra wide limbs or a trapped back - nothing stopped my BL bows from chrysaling - I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I have 20+ BL staves and I won't stop building bows out of it until I break the challenge of a fine non chrysaling BL bow.

Greetz Cord
Niedersachsen, Germany