Author Topic: Heat treating black locust  (Read 10571 times)

Offline Pawtrap

• Stobbin Stiks & Flintlocks
Heat treating black locust
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:32:04 pm »
Hey yall, will someone tell me how to heat treat black locust, I have several good staves and I make fairly heavy bows, 65 to 80#'s, would like to know the best profile bow to make out of BL. I cut all the sap wood off the staves, thanks

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Heat treating black locust
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:44:59 pm »
Slowly and carefully. It takes heat well, but it'll go from brown to charred pretty quick. I always use oil and spend quite a bit of time making sure the heat penetrates deep into the wood. I've used an open fire, stove, and my heat gun effectively.

If you can, heat a little reflex with dry heat. The wood loves it.

I made an 80#@26" flatbow that was 2" wide at the fade, tapered at twenty inches to 1/4" stiff tips, was about seventy inches long and completely flat after taking an inch of set to lose its inch of reflex.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:57 am »
Regarding the "best profile" for black locust: it needs a flat belly to compensate for the low elasticity of the wood and thus prevent chrysals. But it is best to crown the back a bit. Natural crown of the stave is often enough, but if the stave came from a big tree, you could trap the back a bit, making it narrower by angling the sides of the bow. 2" wide for about 70 pounds should be right.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 09:37:13 am »
This is all I've been working lately and have been using the heat gun and caul to induce reflex/corrections on staves that are closer to finished dimensions. Helps in saving time and drying out the wood. I have flipped tips lately and twice have broken curves probably due to operator error :-\ Going to steam the tips from now on.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 10:01:55 am »
I treat BL like whitewoods. It needs a flat belly and good tillering. It does accept heat treating well. I don't use oil then heat treating. I start at the fades, work about a 6" area with the heat gun  few inches above the belly until it turns the color I want. I then move on to the next 6", returning back to the previous area and work out the limb. Once both limbs are done I let the bow rest for 3 or 4 days before stressing it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pawtrap

• Stobbin Stiks & Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 01:24:57 pm »
Thanks yall, gonna go slow, will post the turn out

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:35:36 pm »
Oh no, that's not enough. You gotta post pics along the way!  Most of us can't read (me especially) and appreciate lookin' at pretty pretty pictures.

Photos of flinchrock rifles are appreciated, too.  Trust me on that one. I got two and a smoothbore to boot.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 01:54:29 pm »
   I love black locust but will no longer spend money on the staves because I too often screw them up. Black locust likes a lot of working limb. I use heat to induce reflex but on the one recurve I did I used steam and I steamed it about twice as long as I would osage, a full hour on the tips. All you guys who are good with black locust are my idols! I have a couple right now with minor chrysaling in them that still shoot great but once they chrysal I loose confidence in the bow. I think the heat treating locust aggravates the chrysal problem but could easily be wrong on this.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 03:58:43 pm »
I've had fewer chrysal since I've heat treated locust and I made lots of locust bows years ago. Only recently have I tempered the belly and only then did I make BL bows that didn't chrysal. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 04:23:51 pm »
I've made quite a few BL bows, both backed and self, and can't say I've ever had one chrysal on me.

I made this recurve many years ago, it was the first BL bow I ever heat-treated.

I speed tested the bow and it shot in the low 180's with 10 GPP and a dacron string

It is one of the top bow woods for heat-treating.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline zenart

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 05:09:58 pm »
I've made quite a few BL bows, both backed and self, and can't say I've ever had one chrysal on me.
I made this recurve many years ago, it was the first BL bow I ever heat-treated.
I speed tested the bow and it shot in the low 180's with 10 GPP and a dacron string
It is one of the top bow woods for heat-treating.

Nice Marc. How wide the limbs? You use dry heat w/ oil right?
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 05:55:32 pm »
    Thats good to hear, I may give it another shot.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »
When doing it just be careful to do it right,and not let the heat wrap around the sides and scorch the back....I'm in the opinion of tempering helps locust,and think it helps keep its "fretting issues" at bay...I've never had a locust fret on me,and I've used it quite a bit..and have used wood from several different states and areas...I love locust,n its in my top five fav woods...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »
The limbs on that bow were 1 3/4" wide, back then I had a tendency to make them a bit too wide.  No oil while heat-treating but I did use tung oil on the hot limbs after.  The recurves were steam bent.

That particular bit of BL had very thick rings, almost 3/8" on some of them.  Wish I had bought more of it

P.S.  I went and measured the limbs and they are actually 2" wide
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:10:41 pm by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 08:36:11 pm »
The limbs on that bow were 1 3/4" wide, back then I had a tendency to make them a bit too wide.  No oil while heat-treating but I did use tung oil on the hot limbs after.  The recurves were steam bent.

That particular bit of BL had very thick rings, almost 3/8" on some of them.  Wish I had bought more of it

P.S.  I went and measured the limbs and they are actually 2" wide

I've always thought the thick ringed stuff of roughly equal density handled compression better, taking less set and being harder to chrysal in tests. What do you think?
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.