Author Topic: Another router type arrow shaft maker  (Read 8741 times)

Offline cdpbrewer

Another router type arrow shaft maker
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:46 am »
I’ve made previous router type shaft makers using various woods for the “block” that goes over the router bit and holds the shaft against it.  The holes for the shaft in them wore out too quickly.   Here’s the latest one which uses a 3/8” pipe tee for the “block” which is fitted with drilled-out fittings as bushings on two of the ends for making 5/16” and under diameter shafts:

For those that aren't familiar with router type shaft makers, here’s some good threads: 
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43769.0.html
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41232.0.html

I really like asharrow’s rig in the threads above and copied it in a much cruder fashion.  His uses an aluminum block and drilled out bolts for bushings.   Alas, I’ve no access to a machine shop which I  think is needed for making the holes in the bushing concentric enough- so I cobbled together this rig.

The angle brace attached to the far side of the base board in the pic above holds a dial indicator.  Like Asharrow said in the first thread above, it really helps with adjusting the cutting depth of the router bit.  It’s taken off after getting the rig set up tho'-  the vibration from making shafts isn’t good for the indicator, i.e. the end fitting on the indicator is now lost in a ton of trash on the shop floor  :o.   

A brass fitting is used on the out-feed end.  The fittings shown below have differing hole diameters which yield 0.313, 0.305 and 0.295 shafts.   I selected fittings which had preexisting concentric holes or factory machining inside them (like the plugs).  That helps ensure concentricity is maintained when drilling and enlarging the holes.     

The different sized holes are made by first gingerly drilling out the fittings with a 19/64” drill bit then enlarging the hole using an ~5/16”reject arrow shaft or dowel, oil and some 280 loose grit.  Coat most of the the dowel or shaft with oil then the grit.  Chuck the dowel into a drill and run it back and forth through the drilled hole.  Repeat as needed with more dowels or shafts until the hole is the desired right size.  This method It also smooths out the gouges left by drilling the hole.

The infeed end is a cast iron pipe plug drilled out to, I think, 27/64" and then with the square head of the plug sawn off.  No need to finesse the inside of it like the out-feed fitting. 

Wood is ripped into roughly 0.32” squares with a bandsaw.   This thinness permits making two shaft blanks from 3/4” thick wood or 4 from 1-1/2” thick wood.   The blanks in the photos were ripped from a big box store “white wood” 2x4. 

To chuck the shaft blank into a drill, one end of the blank is slowly hand fed and rotated into the shaft maker.  This makes a roughly rounded end over which a short piece of 7/16” OD x 5/16” ID vinyl tubing is fitted.  This works well for chucking into a variable speed 1/2” drill.  A 12 point socket doesn't work- the soft wood strips out.  toomanyknots wooden thing pictured in the first post above  would work tho'. 

The only downside to the rig is that the blanks need to be at least 4” longer than the desired shaft length.   Most of this excess length is because the portions of the bushings that actually contact the blank and shaft are kind of far apart.  That leaves a fair length of both ends unburnished and the first end fed through is a tad too small in diameter and has a rough finish.   Asharrow’s rig would greatly reduce this.  The smaller diameter rough end won’t matter if it’ll be the nock end and it is aft tapered to 9/32” or 1/4".    Here’s poor pics of the ends of a shaft:

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Another router type arrow shaft maker
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:11:10 am »
Cool ;D, it's some thing I intend to have a go at some time... yeah yeah yeah... another thing on the to-do list ::).
I like your inventive use of materials, that's how I like to do stuff, use what you have... it takes resourcefulness to get it working with stuff you can get hold of.
Thanks for posting.
Del
BTW. I just posted a hot wire feather cutter on my blog, here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/hot-wire-feather-cutter.html
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:00:26 pm »
cdpbrewer

Great work! Glad to have been an inspiration.

When you get the shaft as far through the setup as the drill will let it go, chuck the drill on the finished end and pull  it on through.  It works fine and you only need to make the shaft about one inch longer than finished length to make up for the area crushed by the chuck jaws.

I have a piece of foam under the point of my dial indicator to keep the plunger from vibrating. I have left the indicator on the setup for probably around 1,000 shafts and it still works fine. (Maybe I would treat it better if I had not gotten it cheap at a yard sale 20 or more years ago!)

Thanks for taking the time to write up and illustrate your setup!

Jim Davis (aka asharrow)

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:33:19 pm »
  One of the alterations I have been wanting to do to mine is to weld a pulley on to a pillow block with a square hole pressed into the middle of it. The pillow block would be mounted right next to the feed hole and would eliminate most of the torque on the shaft. You could then just push the shaft through the spinning pillow block assembly and eliminate the drill.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:38:04 pm »
  One of the alterations I have been wanting to do to mine is to weld a pulley on to a pillow block with a square hole pressed into the middle of it. The pillow block would be mounted right next to the feed hole and would eliminate most of the torque on the shaft. You could then just push the shaft through the spinning pillow block assembly and eliminate the drill.

Huh? What will make the square stock spin?
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:52:11 pm »
  Jim, I press a pulley into the pillow block, the ceneter of the pulley would have a square drive hole, I have a small motor with a belt driving the pulley. So the square drive would double as the driver and infeed hole.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:09:57 pm »
I missed the pulley in your previous post.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:22:56 pm »
One "duh" thing I stumbled on is to mark one end of the board you are going to rip shaft blanks from before ripping them off.  It allows one to keep all the resulting shafts oriented the same way- e.g. point end of shaft = root end of tree.  Kind of obvious- except to me  :embarassed:

Jim,  I really appreciate you posting you rig, otherwise I would still be tediously hand planing shafts.  The foam trick on the indicator works like a champ - THANKS!   I have tried pulling/rotating the shaft the rest of the way though the jig but it's not worth the hassle for me if the wood blanks are long enough to permit just whacking off the bad end.   

Del, thanks for the kind comment.  Using stuff for unintended purposes appeals to me- like the lathe you use with your feather burner!   

Badger, the pulley/pillow block addition is a great idea- please post pics and details if you construct one.  Del might beat you to implementing your basic idea if his lathe has a feed-through head stock like it appears to have in a picture on his blog (well worth a read! Link is above. 

c.d. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 02:33:40 pm »
  I recently sold my big dowel maker, it ran on 220 and head a rotating cutting head at 7500 rpm. It was to powerful for anything 3/8 and smaller, the slightest clogging of shavings would tear my shaft in half. It would cut real clean on most hardwoods but doug fir seemed to get too many tear outs. Thats where I got the idea for the rotating feed hole.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 08:16:40 pm »
I may try the router set up in the future, does require some setting up untill then I'll stick with my cheap and easy plate.  :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell