Author Topic: sealing river cane  (Read 11763 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sealing river cane
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 07:25:50 pm »
Cane and hardwood shoot arrows are FOC by their tapered nature.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2014, 01:45:02 am »
I think cane makes the toughest arrow of any material.  At the classic, I shot that steel fox twice and missed the hole twice (can you imagine that  :D)....  It makes a nice ringing sound when a field point hits it announcing to all of Twin Oaks that someone just missed the bonus points again.  Pretty cool.  There are broken parts of arrows laying all around the steel fox and a log with a row of broken arrows as a testament to how many folks have broken arrows on it.   I rang the bell twice with a glue on field point on a river cane arrow.  The second shot the, point glue broke loose.  I had to reglue the point when I got home.  That arrow is still in my quiver.  I acquired some of Pat B's hill cane and look forward to making some arrows with it.  If it is tougher than our river cane, then it is some really tough stuff.  I think cane is more durable than aluminum.  I don't put a foreshaft in my arrows either.  I wrap a little thread and glue behind the point and the self nock and they seem to hold up fine. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline beartail

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2014, 02:55:29 pm »
dang!!a bunch of answers !! I agree too that you just cant beat cane as an all around awesome primitive shafting with its ease of straightning in combonation with its toughness.only thing that beats it in toughness is privet.