Author Topic: where to get some feathers?  (Read 4045 times)

Offline beartail

where to get some feathers?
« on: May 26, 2014, 03:16:23 pm »
howdy everyone.i am looking for a source to get some feathers.i got 10 rivercane shafts knocked straight and ready for some feathers! who do yall recommend?

Offline agd68

Re: where to get some feathers?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:05:01 pm »
If you have Canada geese in your area you can pick up bags full when they molt in late spring/early summer
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 04:14:33 pm »
Check on the trading post.  Someone is bound to have some feathers they will trade you for something.

Offline HDF

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:19:04 pm »
I've found all of mine just walking around the local woods, if you can find the spot of something like a recent fox or hawk kill you'll be able to pick up a few too.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 04:33:42 pm »
While we are on the subject, is it cool to use molted geese feathers? Do you gotta worry about bugs or mites? You gotta spray em with stuff?
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:56:02 pm »
tmk put them in a zip lock in the freezer for a week that will kill any mites
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »
I do as bubby, or you can spray a little bug killer in the bag before you seal it up, no need to freeze.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:50:40 am »
Guys, be careful of the feathers you pick up. Most found feathers(in the US) are federally protected and have been for a hundred years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HDF

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:57:49 am »
Guys, be careful of the feathers you pick up. Most found feathers(in the US) are federally protected and have been for a hundred years.

I don't think I've got such trouble in the UK thankfully, I imagine that's pretty much the only area the English have more freedom than the Americans though! Most of the feathers I've been picking up are wood pigeon feathers, they seem to work well but unless you get a tail feather they aren't particularly big. Possibly try and find a local farm with geese or turkeys?

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:34:02 am »
I do as a couple of guys wrote put them in the freezer for a week or so and then remove them for a few days and then put them back in the freezer until I need them or until my wife tells me to remove them, which ever action comes first. The reason I remove them for a few days and out them back is, someone told me that the mite eggs can hatch after being removed and the second freezing takes care of that.  Whether that is true or not I do not know but that is what I do.

Offline Banjoe

• 苦海無邊
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:56:13 pm »
I was getting by with some castoff feathers from gulls and crows (ravens?) down by Golden Gardens beach nearby, but I realized I needed something a bit more colorful because I kept losing the darn arrows in the forest.

So, went to the local arts-and-crafts shop and got some "craft feathers". They are turkey quills, plenty strong enough for good vanes, and brightly colored enough so that I will hopefully lose fewer arrows in the leaf litter. Cheap enough, too.
Added bonus, no worries about grabbing feathers that the government says I shouldn't pick up from the ground.

Goofy looking bright colors, but considering how fast I destroy/lose arrows, I'll only regret the colors for a little while before the arrows are lost.
Even a blind pig finds an acorn some of the time.

Offline Goose Fletch

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 01:45:22 am »
Road kill. Haha. It works. Lots of geese here. I would also agree with freezing them if you pick them off the ground. Harder than acquiring them is grinding them all comsistently. I am currently trying to reproduce a "great northern feathers grinding jig". Also, try local farms, just do a quick map search on google, i was surprised to learn about all the farms in my area that produce geese and turkey. The problem with molting feathers is that they're often torn or in bad condition.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:19 pm »
I've had very good luck buying turkey feathers in bulk online.  I've also got some very good friends that have given me plenty of wild turkey wings and tails.

I used to try and pick up goose and duck feathers from parks and such but I'm lazy now.  The stuff online is cheap.  I'm saving the wild turkey feathers for the "perfect" arrows that I will build someday...
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:50 pm »
Found lots of crow feathers on the beach.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »
My father in law in Washington state got a turkey and I clipped all the feathers I could. Big ole tom with some feathers bigger then my forearm in length!! But I found one of those geese hunting outfitters online(Facebook) and he said he'd cut the flight feathers and send em by the box full to me. I just pay shipping.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.