Author Topic: Tubes for take-downs  (Read 1939 times)

Offline VicNova

Tubes for take-downs
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:19:45 pm »
I am still working at trying to get the fiberglass take-down sleeve to work but I have a backpacking trip in a few weeks and I am running out of time to practice and refine the glass sleeve.

I don't want to spend $40 for the sleeves so I was wondering if anyone had good dimensions for pipes that fit together really well. Also where is the best place to buy? 
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Tubes for take-downs
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:37:10 pm »
You can do it with just one sleeve. Glue one end in with epoxy. When that is cured, coat the inside of the other end of the sleeve with wax, apply epoxy to the base of the other limb where it fits in the sleeve. Insert and wait till the epoxy has cured.

If the waxed end won't pull out, apply a little heat to melt the wax and it should slip right out.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:43:41 pm »
You can do it with just one sleeve. Glue one end in with epoxy. When that is cured, coat the inside of the other end of the sleeve with wax, apply epoxy to the base of the other limb where it fits in the sleeve. Insert and wait till the epoxy has cured.

If the waxed end won't pull out, apply a little heat to melt the wax and it should slip right out.

Jim Davis

So the epoxy makes the removable limb fit tite inside the sleeve so that it can be taken apart and put together at will? Do you have any pics for reference?
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline DavidV

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:26 pm »
What kind of sleeve do you use?
Springfield, MO

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:23:25 am »
No pix on hand, but I read an article about in Primitive Archer some years ago.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/pages/backissu.html  (Vol. 11, Issue 2)

I don't  have the issue, but it's available from PA

Jim

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine