Author Topic: hole in belly of bow  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Wiley

hole in belly of bow
« on: May 24, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »
I am working on a dogwood bow and as i'm working it down there was a bit of discoloration on the belly and when I went a bit deeper it turns out there is a small hole there a few mm wide. Probing it, it seems about 3/4" deep almost to the back. Should I just fill the hole with super glue? Will try to get some pictures of it but computer problems are making me post this from my phone.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hole in belly of bow
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:00:38 pm »
Fill it with super glue and saw dust if it is 1/8" or bigger and just super glue if smaller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wiley

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:20:08 pm »
Thanks any recommendations for brand or type of super glue to use on it?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:23 pm »
I ran into this recently too on some juniper. Don't mess around with crappy superglue.
Go to lee valley and get the hot stuff with the red label, and the thicker stuff with the orange label. Sprinkle some dust of the same wood your working, and drop some of the thin red bottle stuff in. Use a tooth pick and poke it in to make sure it's filled it good. Let it set and repeat the process till you make it a slight mound. Sand it flush and your good, it'll be stronger than the surrounding wood.
I should add you should for sure try to dig our any loose junk in the hole

Offline Wiley

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »
Thanks, never seen a lee valley in this part of the world but there are places where hot stuff can be obtained here. Sounds like the right stuff for the job. Asked my dad about it and he has used it a bunch for veneer repair, he once got some on a cloth glove and learned why they call it hot stuff and it started to burn his hand and after ripping the glove off it started to smoke.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 10:49:01 pm »
I use whatever super glue is available. It all works. I don't like the little tubes because they dry out too quickly. I do like the plastic bottles with the narrow tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC