Author Topic: First self-bow help?  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Easternarcher

First self-bow help?
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:32:36 am »
OK guys...in my other thread about dry heat I mentioned this HHB log I was gonna split yesterday. Well, I didn't split it cuz I wanted to de-bark it to see what I had there....also it was getting too dark to work anyways.

So the following are the 4 quadrants of the log...dia. 3.5-4" - 6.5ft. long...

Any suggestions on how best to split this thing would be helpful. I've never done this before for staves so I'm a bit hesitant.
I can split wood all day but this is different. ::)
Side 1

Side 2

Side 3

Side 4
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:37:05 am by Easternarcher »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First self-bow help?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:39:36 am »
Looks to me like you have some checks started in that one end. That would be a good place to start with your splitting wedge. At that diameter, halves would probably be all you should go for. When you split it you will find out if there is a twist in the grain.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:44:26 am »
Looks to me like you have some checks started in that one end. That would be a good place to start with your splitting wedge. At that diameter, halves would probably be all you should go for. When you split it you will find out if there is a twist in the grain.    Pat

Yes PAt...there is a splits in both ends..Sorry can't say right now if they line up. not likely!  I assume that with help I may be able to work out the twist if present with heat or steam?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:49:44 am »
Don't worry if they line up. Either go with the biggest check or maybe even start in the middle of the stave and split out to each end. Sometimes this will help the split go straighter. Lets see what others say. Each person does it a little different.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dano

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:13:19 pm »
If it were me I'd do as Pat said and go for the biggest check and split it in halves, the grain will dictate how the split runs. If the log is dry, use dry heat once you've reduced the stave to bow dimensions.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 12:23:55 pm »
I would try and split it inline with those knots shown on "side 1". You probably don't want to incorporate those knots into your bow I'm guessing. This looks like a risky log due to the smaller diameter and the knots. There may be other knots that don't show up well in the pictures that could also come into play. HHB is bad about splintering during splitting and soaking up multiple wedges. We use a hachet during the splitting process to cut through splinters and help the split go as you want it.

If you have access to a bandsaw, you might consider first laying out your bow where you want it. Then carefully cut off the excess material. Of course this would only allow one bow to come from this log, but you'll be lucky to get more then one bow from the log anyway in my opinion. I'm just trying to give you some options to consider. I would have to see the log in person to make a final decision on the process. Pappy and I have split quite a bit of hhb, and I've just finished the second of two hhb bows I been working on the last couple of months. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:02:27 pm »
Greg, You're right I think, and I would be happy just to get one bow from this log.  I was kinda thinking on spliting it in quarters leaving all those bad knots in one quarter (hopefully)...there are a couple of other knots tho they are much smaller, so maybe this won't work at all!

It was cut with other plans in mind (sled runners I guess) and I will try to get at least one from it so I can gift it back to the Landowner. Thanks

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:36:47 pm »
Seal the ends-yesterday. My tools-hatchet, 2 lb sledge, 2 wedgies. Sometimes I kerf the log with my hatchet and sledge. Sometimes not. Then I split the log in 1/2 and then in 1/2 again provided I have enough log to get at least a 3 inch split. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!