Author Topic: My first complete self bow  (Read 5814 times)

Offline arkdoc

My first complete self bow
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »
It came from a twisted osage stave that I cut on my family farm.  About 54" ntn and is a bend through the handle.  I don't have a bow scale, but comparing it to my known 55# bow this one has more draw weight and my guess would be about 60-65#.  I wrapped the handle with hemp twine and have some fox fur for decorations.  I also made the string out of artificial sinew with some homemade fox fur string silencers.  It took some set, but much of it is natural deflex in one limb.  The tiller isn't perfect, but I am a newbie and I am proud none the less.  Go easy on my guys... :D  Also, my wife wouldn't help me out and take the pictures so this is the best I could get right now and had to rip them from a video off my phone for the full draw pics.

Offline PatM

Re: My first complete self bow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:26:02 pm »
Lots of work you can still do on that before you call it good. Your hinged parts don't look too set in the wood yet so I'd work on smoothing out that arc.
 It's a start.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 06:35:58 pm »
Well done, there's something special about your first bow. :)
I've just finished refurbishing my first ever Yew English Longbow about 40 years after making it :laugh:
So give that one 40 years then re-tiller it ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 06:43:40 pm »
   Nice job, I would make minor corrections but not go below your desired draw weight chasing perfection, it works right now, have fun with it.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:55:21 pm »
Good job. They can only get better from here!
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:57:07 pm »
yeah, the tiller could use some work.  It wasn't the easiest stave to begin with.  The top limb has a good twist to it that makes it have the deflex.  The top limb twists about 45 degrees one way and the bottom twists about 45 the other. 

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:02:33 pm »
If the limbs weren't straight when you started, then the curve at full draw should NOT be even. If it is, the wood is not evenly strained, because the originally crooked parts are not bending as much as the originally straight parts.

A perfect curve is not always the sign of good tillering.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline arkdoc

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:19 pm »
Thanks for the advice JD.  I used a little trick I read about to help.  I took a small section of a 2x4 and ran it along the belly looking for flat spots and the beginnings of hinges.  I worked it to where it was pretty even.  It shoots well enough for me.  I know I will probably look on it later and see what I could have done better, but I am happy for now.  And I learned a lot. 

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 07:30:48 pm »
Congrats...that good feeling of I made that n proud of it never goes away(at least for me)...fun ain't it?  :D and don't worry about it not being perfect, cus mine or anybody else's on here isn't either ;) but we try to build that "perfect" bow,and thats what keeps us building more :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 07:34:12 pm »
There was a time on this sight you would have got crap for a bow that short, and probably told not to do it at all. Well your tiller is not bad at all, could you tweek it ....sure. Do you need to....no sir. It's shootin good, and pleases you then leave it be....congrats on your first and you should be proud of it good for ya bud.
rich

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:54:21 pm »
Nice job, looks like a real good first shooter and those short bendys are fun to fling aroows from aren't they. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 09:27:33 pm »
What Rich said! Just keep trying for a better bow and you will end up with one.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23:37 pm »
Congratulations! The tiller looks good. If you note  a fair amount of hand shock she may be bending a tad too much in the handle. Other than that you did very well. Keep up the good work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »
Awesome job!
Welcome to the addiction!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline rps3

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 10:59:30 pm »
Congrats on your first, I look forward to watching your progress.