Author Topic: Tennessee Classic - where good trails cross.  (Read 2745 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Tennessee Classic - where good trails cross.
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:39 pm »
A couple of hunting seasons ago I took my first deer with a stone point.  I haven't learned to knap, but I traded for the point I used with a fine member of this forum you know as Stringman.  Mr. Scott Stanberry is a true master at his craft and as fine a fellow as I have had the pleasure to meet.   When my mother in law gifted me a piece of red stone I knew who I wanted to give it to.  Mrs. Rita is not the sort of mother in law that one jokes about.  She is connected to the land in a way that is rare now days.  Her Choctaw ancestors must have whispered to her when she found the red rock, because she knew that she had found what the old ones used.  She gave me the rock a couple of years ago.  I brought it to my first trip to the classic and showed it to Scott.  I was astounded with what he gave me a short time later.  He knapped a beautiful spear point from the red rock and it literally gave me chills when I saw it.  I plan to make a gift of the point to Mrs. Rita.  As if this amazing gesture weren't enough, he gave a piece of the red stone to a man named Shannon Walker who knapped an amazing knife which he gave me.  It is my full intent to do something special for these men in the future.  The generosity that they showed me has left a profound feeling of kinship and gratitude in my heart.  I truly thank you both.  Here are a few pics of the point and the knife.  I will follow up with this post with more photos after I give Mrs. Rita these items.  She is most deserving of these special items.  The family land was left to her, because she loves it and will let no chainsaw touch the old growth, it won't be sold, it will be protected on her watch.  She catches fish when no one else can.  She keeps squirrels in the pot with her .22 rifle.  She loves Hatchtigbee and we all love her.  Thanks Scott and Shannon for giving me a chance to give her something she will love. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:50:45 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Tennessee Classic - where good trails cross.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:49:28 pm »
I saw them in person and they are some fine work.  And Howard, you did a fine job too on that knife handle.   :)
Sweet..............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 07:54:28 pm »
Thanks Bill.  I went through a bunch of horns to find just the right piece.  Rawhide lacing is from the doe I killed with one of  Stringman's chert points.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »
I saw them in person also, those two guys are special. I hope she likes them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 10:31:20 pm »
Wow! Howard that knife looks perfect! I'm just honored to be a small part of this story. Keep us posted and don't forget to take pics.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:04:46 pm »
Howard, you picked two of the most talented knappers out there to make those points.  I have a knapped piece from each and they are incredible at what they do.  And the antler handle you hafted the blade to looks great.  I'm sure she will be pleased with the point.  Good job to all three of you
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:08 pm »
I agree Eddie, they really are something and thanks. 
Scott,  I sure thank you brother, and there is a vein of that red rock that is gonna get mined on your behalf.
Thanks Clint.  I agree, both of those guys do amazing work.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 05:11:40 am »
Both beautiful,both great guys and great knappers for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:49 am »
Knife looks great in the antler handle Howard, I bet she'll be tickled to have those. The work those guys did on that stone was really something to see, glad I also had the chance to hold and admire their work up close.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:22:04 am »
Great story Howard!
I can't wait to see what you post after you give them to Mrs. Rita.
Also it was a pleasure to meet you at the classic this year, wish we had talked longer.
See ya at next year's classic hopefully!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 01:59:25 pm »
Great story :), great rock and points. She sounds like a fine lady.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:43 pm »

Make sure you take pictures of her receiving them. ;)

Wayne

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 12:25:52 am »
Thanks a bunch Pappy - y'all sure do put on a great event.

It was great meeting you too Kevin.  I will be seeing you guys next year for sure.

I will revisit this post with some photos after I give them to her.  I have to build a proper display for the point - a shadow box, or framed display of some sort.  If anybody has suggestions on that, I would love to hear it.  I will figure something out.  The knife is too sharp to sit around on a shelf.  I imagine she will want to use it.  I am making a sheath for it now.

Yeah Dell, Mrs. Rita is a character.  Here in the States you sometimes run across women that like to dress up in camo fashions and pretend to enjoy hunting and fishing just so they can stay attached to their menfolks and give them no breathing room! Not every woman that hunts, mind you.....  I wish to offend no real women who are reading this, but you know who you are.....    In Mrs. Rita's case, she goes hunting on her own.  She goes to the woods because she is a hunter.   She is not pretending to be anything but herself.  She couldn't be an inch over five feet tall, but is as strong a person as I have ever met.  She is past sixty, but you better have your walking shoes on if you plan to keep up with her.  I am stoked to be able to give her these amazing gifts - I will let y'all know how it turns out.   That's Mrs. Rita on the left.  My better half is on the right and they are laughing because my wife doesn't hunt and she was goofing around for the pic.  You can see how she is holding that rifle like it was a snake that might bite her....  Hatchtigbee lake is back behind them.   It's a real special place.         
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:34:44 am by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi