Author Topic: Powerful wood scraper?  (Read 7240 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Powerful wood scraper?
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:49:09 pm »
I'm currently using a Banco 5'' scraper.  it works but removes very little wood per scrape.  it can literally take several 100 scrapes to change the tiller of a bow, so I usually end up doing some rasping first.  I'm looking for a scraper that removes a larger amount of wood, so that I can do say 20 scrapes per side instead of 200.  Thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Powerful wood scraper?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:04:37 pm »
Just use a rasp if you need to remove that much wood. honestly i do most of my tillering with a rasp but you have to be really careful.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:05:13 pm »
I use my machete with a fresh edge.

Edit: sorry, it's a Khukri. Allows me to control the shape of the belly pretty well.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:09:06 pm »
I find a good compromise between a scraper and a full out rasp is a Shinto Rasp.  Cuts very evenly and has both an aggressive side and a finer side.  Several places carry them.  They look like they are made from hacksaw blades...

OneBow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:56 pm »
Have you dressed the edges of your scraper? That will make a big difference. IMO, a scraper shouldn't remove too much wood anyway but a good edge will give you a good curl of wood with each scrape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline scp

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:58:20 pm »
I would use a block plane and/or a Mora Woodcarver's Draw Knife as a scraper.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:56:10 pm »
Have you dressed the edges of your scraper? That will make a big difference. IMO, a scraper shouldn't remove too much wood anyway but a good edge will give you a good curl of wood with each scrape.

This. I finally learned how to do the edges right on my scraper and it makes a WORLD of difference. I do it a couple of times per bow, more with harder wood.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:59:43 pm »
Rasp and then scrape. That way you won't have much cleaning up to do at the end. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »
A good edge and burr on your scrapers is essential. It does make a world of a difference.
Myself, I started using a paint scraper with handle, like this:

I can hold it much better than a card scraper and hence I can apply a lot more pressure. It also needs a good edge, but if it does have the proper edge, it works very fast and can make enormous wood curls.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 09:53:24 pm »
I have two scrapers one is a store bought card kind the other is a small kitchen knife which leaves a little less fine of a finish but removes a bit more material.for most of the more major wood removal I use a Shinto. So try out a cheap knife and if that doesn't work get a Shinto,  or get one anyways they along with the scrapers have improved the quality of my bows more then any other tool
I like free stuff.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:01:59 pm »
I use my machete with a fresh edge.

Edit: sorry, it's a Khukri. Allows me to control the shape of the belly pretty well.

I got a beautiful meat cleaver which I adore. It holds a razor sharp edge. I use it mostly though for roughing out staves after switching from a hatchet. I never had any problem with a scrapper not removing enough material. Make sure you do a good job of rolling the bur, it's important.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:04:28 pm »
A good edge and burr on your scrapers is essential. It does make a world of a difference.
Myself, I started using a paint scraper with handle, like this:

I can hold it much better than a card scraper and hence I can apply a lot more pressure. It also needs a good edge, but if it does have the proper edge, it works very fast and can make enormous wood curls.

You wouldn't have to worry about it getting hot either like a card scraper.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »
My scraper can hog off a thick ribbon of osage.  I made it out of a circular saw blade.  I put a good burr on it 3-4 years ago and haven't had to touch it up since.  I use it on every bow.  I think the secret to a great scraper is the quality of the metal and the quality of the burr you put on it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:50 pm »
My scraper can hog off a thick ribbon of osage.  I made it out of a circular saw blade.  I put a good burr on it 3-4 years ago and haven't had to touch it up since.  I use it on every bow.  I think the secret to a great scraper is the quality of the metal and the quality of the burr you put on it.

I wish I could get my edge to last that long! I do all my tillering with a flat cabinet scraper but usually have to sharpen it a couple of times on each bow. I like the amount of wood it removes.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »
Get a cheap pair of scissors, remove the rivet and you have 2 good scrapers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC