Author Topic: Another Convert  (Read 2123 times)

Offline wildman

Another Convert
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:50:29 pm »
I have been fooling with this hickory stick for a lil bit. I got it through a few issues and am not sure how long it will live has about 200 bullets through it. Now to the rest of the story!One of my good buddies came up the other day when I was test firing it, and wanted to try. He shot it for 45mins and was in love. He was talking about selling his Matthews before the afternoon was out with a big grin on his face. I gave him the bow with the disclaimer it might not be long for the world and he would have to come over and make his own. He has been over ever afternoon since to shoot and work on it! Another win for team primitive. It had pulled at the shelf cut ,and had a small place on the back. I smooth on glued the splinter down then backed the whole area with rawhide, glued with smooth on. On the belly I used good old super glue. Yes, he does know things could go bad. Its 66" ntn pulling around 38# @ 27ish not a great deal of stress IMOP.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Another Convert
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:26:31 pm »
looks scary! better get goin on the next one!

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:37:04 pm »
Wow, that is one scary crack. If I were letting someone shoot that bow, either it would be someone I didn't like - and I mean someone I really didn't like - or I would wrap that crack plus one inch up and down from it with thread soaked with glue or sinew or something. Hickory is a durable wood, but it's not invincible and its splinters can poke an eye or cut skin just as well as those of any other wood.

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »
Also have him get his elbow down and back, in the alignment with the arrow... His accuracy will be much more pleasing in the long run...
Friends are the family we choose

Offline wildman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 07:11:22 pm »
The larger place is on the compression side, the other as I said has been glued with smooth on and has a rawhide backing extending four inches past the crack. If and when it fails (more when) I will post a pic.

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline wildman

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »
The patch

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:33 pm »
Also have him get his elbow down and back, in the alignment with the arrow... His accuracy will be much more pleasing in the long run...

Pat, you are a good man. You kept me from saying something really sarcastic on that subject :-X
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine