Author Topic: What kind of target do you guys use for stone point?  (Read 1996 times)

Stringman

Re: What kind of target do you guys use for stone point?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 03:51:26 pm »
No offense taken. I'm only going on practical hunting experience and from my perspective, I would have to disagree with your theory. I've noticed that the sharper my points have become, the more penetration I'm getting and the more massive the bleed out is. A deer hit with merely a point will commonly stop bleeding and recover, but a deer with extensive internal lacerations will often die within yards of the hit location.

I would theorize that the bone and wood points were more often used on small game than large game since they have less blood to lose and smaller chance of recovering from a hard hit. It's also possible that hits to key areas (spine or neck shots) would bring down large game and result in less wasted meat.

I'm no expert, just going on what I see first hand.

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: What kind of target do you guys use for stone point?
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 11:02:38 pm »
The angles and size seem to play in about as much as the sharpness, not saying that sharp is not important , just there are many other factors
the energy driving the point being the huge factor
The less energy behind it the more important the other factors
now back to the ?at hand I use a piece of 2 inch blue foam about a foot in front of the target to take the energy away so it does not have much penitration and little to no effect on the head
have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !