Author Topic: The midget gets a "proper" bow, thanks Dell  (Read 7303 times)

Offline half eye

The midget gets a "proper" bow, thanks Dell
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:06:24 am »
Now that the rain let off some here are some pics from today.

Yesterday I got a real long package from Pappy and the Twin Oaks gang. It took about 2 seconds to get open, not that I was excited mind, and out slides this magnificent proper English Yew long bow made by  a proper Englishman.

72", English yew, finely sewed leather grip and pearl arrow strike, very finely crafted horn tips with single side knocks, opposing. Execution of the entire bow is absolutely top flight. I got her strung and slipped out between the rain clouds and put a couple arrows through her.....man what a sweet pea!!!! Draws smooth as silk, arrows hit like a hammer, and it shoots dead on point of aim at 20 yards, with my hunting weight arrows.

There's a picture of Dells bow next to one of mine, no difference there, right? I also made a stringer as my 66" reach was a smidge short for the 72" bow ::) I will get some high rez pics of the bow's knocks and strike plate and add those here later. Had to whistle "I'm a lucky dog" all the way around the yard, hell everybody thinks I'm nuts anyway >:D

Mr. Dell the Cat, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, same to Pappy and the Twin Oaks bunch for gettin her in one piece and for the fine example of English Bowyery. Believe that the local deer population is gonna have a wanted poster out for ole Dell 8) Thank you Sir!!!!
rich

Offline half eye

Re: The midget gets a "proper" bow, thanks Dell
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:07:37 am »
one more

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:10:44 am »
 8) 8) 8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:14:19 am »
Sweet,saw it in person and it is everything you say it is. :) Very nice work Del and congrats to you rich,you now have proper English long bow to take the King's deer with.  ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:17:37 am »
Cheers Rich, I think we did a great trade, and thanks Pappy for getting the last leg of its long trip :laugh:
That looks like a warbow in your hands, looks like you are giving it a decent length draw :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:25:38 am »
Ya I know Dell, least I dont need a ladder to shoot it :o That full draw is 26" I'll have you to know, pretty damned good for a midget 8) ;)
rich

Offline autologus

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:26:13 am »
Sweet,saw it in person and it is everything you say it is. :) Very nice work Del and congrats to you rich,you now have proper English long bow to take the King's deer with.  ;) :) :)
  Pappy

So if Rich is going to kill the king's deer does that mean he is going to Canada to hunt this fall?   >:D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:32:26 am »
Kinda like seeing a kid wear his Dad's boots ;D . We're just so used to seeing you with those bendy handle bows . It'll be different to shoot ,for sure!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:40:30 am »
Lucky you Rich, looks smooth as butter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:31 pm »
Grady, not one chance in hell   >:D
Lostarrow, give the old midget a break, eh? ::) ::) ::)  besides when that arrow slides clean through that deer it aint gonna care how stupid I look >:D
rich

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »
Now you have no excuse for putting anymore holes in your shed with that rig  8) ...glad I got to see it down in Tennessee ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 01:10:18 pm »
Now you have no excuse for putting anymore holes in your shed with that rig  8) ...glad I got to see it down in Tennessee ;)

Glad I got to SHOOT IT down in Tennessee!  How's it feel to shoot one of my hand-me-down bows, Rich?  Granted, I only got about 5 arrows thru it before Del wrestled me to the ground.  He may be ancient, but he's wiry!  I still have marks where he was gumming my left ankle!

But seriously, you are lucky Del is a master of disguises.  It's rare that TSA allows an international arms dealer to slip thru security carrying a deadly weapon of war such as that.  I bet everyone of French descent in your area suddenly is having cold shivers up and down their spines!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »

Glad I got to SHOOT IT down in Tennessee!  How's it feel to shoot one of my hand-me-down bows, Rich?  Granted, I only got about 5 arrows thru it before Del wrestled me to the ground.  He may be ancient, but he's wiry!  I still have marks where he was gumming my left ankle!

But seriously, you are lucky Del is a master of disguises.  It's rare that TSA allows an international arms dealer to slip thru security carrying a deadly weapon of war such as that.  I bet everyone of French descent in your area suddenly is having cold shivers up and down their spines!
Haaa haa ha!!  You're too funny, JW.  That is one looker of a bow and you're one lucky guy, Rich.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »
<snip>  I bet everyone of French descent in your area suddenly is having cold shivers up and down their spines!

<insert cheezy French accent> 

...Sacre Bleu!  Eet wasz az eef dee very winds weere whispering 'Agincourt, ...Agincourt' I nearly choked trying to swallow my Beignet!

<DELETE cheezy French accent and NEVER try to use it again in public!>

OneBow

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:56:54 pm »
For some reason that bow looks even longer now than it did when i saw it in TENN. ::)
That full draw pic looks like your about to rip your shed roof loose when you release.
Steve Bennett