Author Topic: Fixing a Hinge- When all Means Fail.........  (Read 13010 times)

Offline RT

Fixing a Hinge- When all Means Fail.........
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:53:45 pm »
Would like to tap the thoughts on all bowyer ideas and experience when building a all-wood-bow with boo backing.

When you hit a "hinge" who do you do?

1)removing wood from the stiff area?
2) Knee bending on the hinge area?
3)heating that stiff area?
4)..........

Please share your experiences, much appreciated...

RT  [Wink]
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline Crogacht

Re: Fixing a Hinge- When all Means Fail.........
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:09:06 am »
Remove wood where it doesn't bend enough and leave it alone where it bends too much - to (roughly) quote Tim Baker (I think) :D

EDIT: It was actually Jim Hamm, but I'm sure Tim has said that also. Stumbled across it while reading last night.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:16:56 pm by Crogacht »

Offline arachnid

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:25:58 am »
And use a tillering gizmo! It makes your life a LOT easier.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 02:12:27 am »
I say build a time machine and go back to before the hinge appeared. Always works for me. Though the future has a way of correcting itself....

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:15:45 am »
Sometimes removing more wood every where but the hinge drops the draw weight too much. An alternative is to add wood over the hinge area by glueing on a thin strip or even tying on a strip of wood. I've even done it with a piece of split bamboo with a spiral wrap of strong cord.  cheers fiddler49

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:54:58 am »
Bow building is all about solving a preventing problems. A hinge is a problem that a easily preventable if you go slow and keep a good eye on your tiller. Just like having a smooth and finely sander back prevents splinters from lifting(for the most part)

If for some reason you come upon a problem like an unexpected hinge. Depending on the severity remove wood from the stronger parts of the limbs and continue on.
If the belly is flat, and your in jepardy of coming in under weight if removing wood from the other parts of the limb, simply laminate a strip of cow horn to the weak spot.
A simple patch when done correctly can do wonders.
or
Start a new bow:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:15:46 am »
Once a hinge is apparent it's prob' too late.
Like most tillering it's a little of A with a bit of B and a dash of C.
I'd pencil a bit L (for leave) on it. Continue tillering, if the bow ends up under weight, maybe shorten it or heat treat the belly.
If the hinge is due to a problem in the wood or has chrysalled the maybe a belly patch will save the day.
It's all an opportunity to experiment and try new skills.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 07:24:04 am »
  The best solution to a hinge is to cut bow into 12" sections where they fit nicely into a trash can. If you don't care about the looks we have a lot of solutions, wrap the area with something like linen for instance, sometimes you can inlay the same type of wood you have on the belly and continue tillering. I prefer the trash can method most of the time.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:27:02 am »
I think removing wood everywhere other than the hinge would only be a problem if you've either ignored/not noticed the problem for the majority of the tillering or you've done something drastic during the final stages and caused an unsalvageable hinge.

Seems best to take it really slowly and get advice from people on this forum (NOT me :D)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 08:15:36 am »
Depends on how bad the hinge is, small I do what others have suggested ,larger   most times I use the Badger method. ;) :) The key is to get it gone,if you miss weight so be it, give it to someone that can use it and build yourself another. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 10:00:10 am »
I mark a big X where the hinge is and leave that area alone. Remove wood from above and below. Retiller the other limb.

To prevent hinges don't use power tools for final tiller. Once I string it, I'm using a scraper like tool.  Also, remove wood in long strokes going past the target area by a little. In addition, take your time. No hurry. Check tiller frequently. Work thewood in with a few partial draws.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:08:11 am »
Make a kid happy , tiller it out for a kids bow and start another .

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »
Depending on your belly material, there is a good chance you have frets forming. Once you notice a hinge with a boo backed bow the damage is usually done. Boo is a very, very potent grass.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 12:32:00 pm »
Is this a hypothetical question? Or do you have a boo backed bow in progress with a hinge? If the later can you give specifics on the bow like materials(belly?),and stats? And even better pics will help a whole lot more,and folks here will be able to give you the right advice....otherwise everyone here is just pretty much guessing....vague questions receive vague answers that might not even answer the question or solve the issue...

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 12:47:48 pm »
And use a tillering gizmo! It makes your life a LOT easier.

I have to say that unless you are building a perfectly uniform board bow, stay away from the tillering gizmo!  when using a stave there is always going to be some profile character and the gizmo will tell you that there is a stiff spot when the wood may actually  be bending too much!  STAY AWAY FROM THE GIZMO if your bow has any character, it is meant for glue ups and board bows!

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.