Author Topic: FF and nocks  (Read 1693 times)

Don Case

FF and nocks
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:45:47 pm »
I've read a few posts about FastFlyte type strings damaging nocks. Is this just because you use fewer strands(smaller diameter) or is there something else going on?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: FF and nocks
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:53:04 pm »
FF does make a smaller diameter string and it stretches very little. I think it is the shock of the sudden stop(no stretch) plus the smaller diameter that causes problems. I also think that wood bows are affected adversely less than glass bows because the wood has some give to it. Now, this comes from someone that doesn't use FF on wood bows so take it with a grain of salt.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:00:14 pm »
So building up the loops with extra strands and serving is a step in the right direction? Other than the increased weight.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:01:51 pm »
The excess weight will be minimal and the benefits are probably worthwhile.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:07:24 pm »
This shouldn't be an issue with Ocean Spray(hard like rock) but I'll keep it in mind when I work up the guts to tackle my Yew staves. Thanks Pat

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 02:18:30 pm »
I think if you carve your nock correctly then it shouldn't be an issue. I've been on PA for years now and I haven't yet seen someone post a picture of a self bow that had it's nocks split because of a fastflight string. I'm not saying it's never happened but I don't think it happens frequently and if it does I'm willing to bet the nock was not carved appropriately. Padding you loop will be extra insurance, a horn or hardwood tip overlay will make it a non-issue. Just to give you an idea of what can be done, Last year Keenan showed me a hunting weight (I think it was 60#) yew self bow with self nocks. The tip was so tiny I though I'd need a magnifying glass to see it. It had a fastflight string on it and no sign of any wear or damage.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 03:11:41 pm »
Yep. I use nothing but FF string. The exception is that I use Dacron for a tillering string. I pad the loops with 2 extra strands. Sometimes overlays, sometimes not. For me if I go under 1/2" tips I will use overlays. That is just a personal thing to give me a little reassurance. Softer woods I default and use overlays if a higher weight bow is made. Never a problem in nearly 2 decades.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »
Well, I split a nock a few years ago which I attribute to FF and I was just stringing the stave or the first time. I'd use an overlay and pad the loops.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 03:31:21 pm »
I've never had a problem with FF. Just make sure your nocks are prepped well.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 03:53:34 pm »
I make FF strings for all of my bows. I pad the loops when making strings for bows with self-nocks made of softer wood. For bows made from harder woods like osage or bows that have tip overlays I don't bother padding.
Gordon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »
Every single problem that some attribute to FF materials can be said about B50, linen, sinew, milk weed or rawhide. If we think that those other materials haven't split an occasional tip we are lying to ourselves. What where all the other issues with dyneema's, beyond the tip splitting?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:25:27 pm »
Excessive speed increase and the  lost ability to track the arrow in flight.  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 04:49:43 pm »
Excessive speed increase and the  lost ability to track the arrow in flight.  ;)

Excessive hyperbole of FF users... >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.