Author Topic: More bending advice please  (Read 2388 times)

Don Case

More bending advice please
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:44:25 pm »
This is another Ocean Spray stave that I have to bend. It's 1 1/2" dia at the handle. The handle is kerfed to the pith because OS will split anyway. The natural bend is right at the handle. In hindsight I should have cut it differently but what's done is done. Anyway I'm afraid that when I steam it and clamp it, it may split. I was thinking about cutting a piece of wood to put in the kerf to stop it from compressing. Any other suggestions.
Thanks
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: More bending advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »
What does the rest of the stave look like?  Is it necessary to bend it or can you deal with the sideways bend in the handle?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 03:47:42 pm »
A string from end to end misses the center of the handle by about an inch. It's hard to see in the picture but the string runs right down the left side of the handle. It doesn't need to bend all that much. I was going to narrow the handle a bit first.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 04:15:55 pm »
Ive never tried to bend a Kerf cut handle (or ocean spray), but I can't imagine that would work out very well.  I would probably establish my front profile and bend it further down the limb.  Purely speculation on my part of course.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 04:22:52 pm »
since the string alignment isnt that far off and steaming the handle might end up in more cracking.

i would use side nocks to bring the string over a bit
Clatskanie, Oregon

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 04:23:01 pm »
Looking at the picture is making me think that maybe a sideways bend in the top limb might be the way to go but I have to make an insert for the kerf anyway so I thought it might stabilize it enough to bend it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »
Don, you can't tell how the string will track until first brace.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 04:28:06 pm »
The string has to move over about 3/4" to be on center. If I have 1/2" tips side nocks would only move it over 1/4" wouldn't it? Or is that close enough?

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »
Don, you can't tell how the string will track until first brace.

Ah, patience Grasshopper. :D OK I'll wait. It's not dry enough yet for tillering.

Offline randman

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:31:36 am »
I would leave it just like it is and do like Bryce said use side nocks to make the string ride closer to the handle center. I doesn't look that bad to me....I sometimes prefer side slung strings just like that anyways....makes em almost center shot...just add a small shelf (if you gotta have one) to the grip wrap and there ya go....done a couple of OS that way and I have a nice Syringa bow of Keenan's done that way also....anyway with OS what you got is what you get....it don't like to bend, heat, steam or otherwise. At least I've not had any luck with that. And if it's not dry enough for tillering, I wouldn't use any dry heat on it or it'll check like crazy....(don't ask me how I know)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 01:52:23 am »
mind you I've only built one OS bow, when I got it I wrapped the ends from the tip 6" with innertube and put lots of glue on the ends, this stopped the checks that had started and I left it set untouched for maybe two years, the handle didn't check like that, from what I understand OS takes a long time to dry out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09:31 am »
If it's too wet to tiller it's too wet to move with heat in my experience. At least if you want to be certain it won't move again.

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »
the handle didn't check like that, from what I understand OS takes a long time to dry out

Bubby
The handle didn't check like that, I sawed it. I have had the best luck with drying OS by exposing the pith. If I leave the handle area in one piece it(the handle) has checked badly. By cutting it I am trying to control the checking. If you expose the pith OS does not check, at least in my area(high RH). I have a couple dozen slabs that I have cut off when roughing out that have had no treatment (glue, shellac etc) and they have no checks. I'm thinking that ideally OS should have at least a year of drying.