Author Topic: Critical input welcomed!  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Critical input welcomed!
« on: May 07, 2014, 08:18:40 pm »
My 1st post here on PA. 

Am in the midst of 1st bow project . . . holmegaard inspired stick that's tillered down to 0.4 " thick inner limbs.   4" handle, 2" inner fades, 15" innerlimbs, 2" outer fades , and 12" outerlimbs.  Target weight is 45 @ 28.  It's a red oak board . . . 65" NtN.

Pictures attached

I've read that understanding this bow's tiller is easier to critique if unbending outer limbs are cropped out of pics. So that's what I did for several of the pics.  In these pics bow is braced just a few inches and drawn to 16".  Draw weight is currently @ 21# at this draw diatance.

Being as this is my 1st attempt at bow creation, I have little faith in my judgement when it comes to  the tiller.

Whatcha think?  Your input will be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:47:50 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bow101

Re: Critical input welcomed!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:30:15 pm »
So far it looks pretty good. Whats your target weight.?  What wood its it.?  Bow length etc....

"tiller is easier to critique if unbending outer limbs are cropped out of pics. "   I would just post pics as they are..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:09 pm »
Thanks for comment.  Orig post is updated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:48:55 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:23:34 pm »
Looks good at this point. What poundage is it at the 16" mark?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:37:23 pm »
Take a 4 inch straight edge and check the gap from handle fade to lever fade.  If the gap is even and consistent, tiller is good, if not, make adjustments accordingly.  Lay off the handle fades completely for a while.  The transition from handle to working limb should be a seamless one without any angles.  Yours looks to be a bit abrupt.  Sweeping curves, no angles.  Could be a problem spot, just get the limb bending less there and progressively more as you move away from the fade.  Good start! 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:23 pm »
The curved transition in the fade is a feature that stymies even some of the experienced guys. Work on that before you do anything else.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 07:11:45 am »
SlimBob . . . yeah, my handle design sucks.  "Sucks", that's one of my more technical terms. 

Understood re too much bend at handle fades.  Will give the 4" block a looksee and devote wood removal to outer half of working limbs.  Think am down to scraper/sandpaper stage, correct?

Given that outer limbs are 12.5" long (not incl 2"fades), taper in width from 1.5 to 0.56, and taper in thickness from .75 to .50.  And given that don't want those outer limbs to bend.  What say ya'll re potential for further tapering in width and/or thickness of outers?

Thanks, again, to all for taking the time to chime in.  I continue to be appreciative of comments/suggestions.

This bow wood removal is a bit more touchy than shaping slingshots!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:17:23 am by Knoll »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:22 am »
I couldn't venture a guess on that one.  If you want to get them as lite as possible you can narrow until you sense a little flex at full draw.  I just don't have any experience with RO so let someone else answer that one.
Yes sir, it's time to use a scraper and sandpaper.
Your handle design can and will improve as you make more yes, but your making bows while others just read about it.  Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:25:34 am by SLIMBOB »

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 04:35:27 pm »
Craaaaack!   At the handle fade.  >:(
Oh well, will start another after Mothers' Day.
 :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:43:45 pm by Knoll »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 05:18:25 pm »
I can remember, some years back, going thru a rash of last minute failures, and how dejected I felt at one point.  Now, I think about all I've learned since then, and the bows I have whittled out, and the people I've met as a result of this....All smiles for me.  And the victories would not be nearly as sweet tasting without the earlier bitter pills I swallowed.  Figure out what could have been done better and fix it on the next one.  I still do that on all of 'em. :)

EDIT  I would add that attempting a molly for your first bow was not a call I would have recommended.  Add to that a RO board.  Very tough build, even for someone with experience.  Grab another board and simplify your next one.  I'm not a board bow guy but there are many good ones on here, bubby to name one,  that can help you with dimensions etc.  A nice simple pyramid or flat bow design with lots of working limb to work with.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:24:08 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:24:44 pm »
Whats your target weight.?  What wood its it.?  Bow length etc....

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 07:30:04 pm »
First post has it all bow101
RO
65ntn
45# 28"

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 07:42:53 pm »
First post has it all bow101
RO
65ntn
45# 28"

Ever since I switched over to Firefox the fonts are all hazy, went into options but can't seem to do much about smoothing out the font.   

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 08:00:41 pm »
My best advice would be to learn how to floor tiller,and tiller by brace with board bows ,cuz everything is pretty even to start with.there was to much bend in the inner limbs and mid to outer were static.I try to keep all of the set in the mid limbs.checking where the bow is taking set is key.if set is showing up in the inner fade area this translates to a boat load of set at the tips!good luck on the next one!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 09:47:28 pm »
You should increase the amount of working limb on your next one.  That will certainly boost its chance of survival
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com