Author Topic: Do you ever?  (Read 3518 times)

Offline Arrowind

Do you ever?
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »
Do you ever look at some of the bows you made early on and see all the flaws and things you could have done better? 

I look at some of the bows I made a few years ago that I was sooooo pleased with and all I can see are the flaws and sometimes even cringe.  Not that I'm not still pleased with them but....It's hard for me to look at them and not think "What was I thinking!?"   

I guess it's a sign that I'm progressing.   In the beginning I didn't know what I didn't know and therefore could not see those things.   I still don't know what I don't know but I think I know a lot more then I knew...you know?  :o  Guess that's good. 

Anyone else ever feel that way?  care to share?
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Do you ever?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:15:17 am »
Yeah i know what you mean. I looked at my first bow the other day and i did cringe. It's cool to think that we may say the same thing about the bows we're proud of now  :o Makes ya wonder how much you can progress from now...
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:17:23 am »
Yep. Couldnt say it any better. Hope my progression continues. Seeing a lot of really, really nice bows here at the Classic.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:08:33 am »
Ooooooh yeah, back when I worked with ash more often... Jeez... First few mollegabets worked and were tillered alright, but dang those clubs I called levers. Going back and forth between crushed fades and whip tiller, tying a loop knot in a fully double-twisted string and calling it a bow string, pulling a bow that was supposed to be forty pounds to sixty and wondering why it'd taken set...

;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 02:22:20 am »
I've gone make and re-worked and re-finished a lot of my old bows.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 04:33:14 am »
I've gone make and re-worked and re-finished a lot of my old bows.

+1
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 05:24:05 am »
With the exeption of my first i give them away...
That way i dont have to look at them again  >:D
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 05:50:05 am »
Da Vinci said it best,

"true art is never finished only abandoned"

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 08:56:33 am »
With the exeption of my first i give them away...
That way i dont have to look at them again  >:D

X2, I have given nearly all of them away. There comes a time when you realize "how many bows do I really need?"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:48:24 am »
Yes, I cringe when I look at my early efforts. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 10:13:52 am »
I have none of my early self bows to remind me how bad they were .
Every once and a while one of my Fiberglass re-curves from the early 70s will show up and I think man why did I not do a better job on them , but then I remind Myself that I was just a teenager and wonder in amazement of all that went on thru out life and praise the Lord for how good He is !
Enjoy the ride
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 10:18:54 am »
Well said Guy!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 10:34:43 am »
I don't have anything from way back but I still have a couple from 20 years ago and no I don't cringe.  It's good to see the progression of one's journey, IMO
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
I only cringe when I think about the two that broke :-\ For the most part the ones in the past have been learning experiences. And I think I continue to learn on each one today.
The ones from the past that I still have are like an open book just waiting for me to get a refresher course.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »
Zion -  yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about.   I imagine over time that improvements become more and more incremental or that the actual increment is smaller and smaller whereas in the beginning one can make large improvements relatively quickly.....

Gsulfridge -  I'm jealous - wish I could go to the classic!

huisme -  "First few mollegabets worked and were tillered alright, but dang those clubs I called levers..."
hah!  I've had that same thought!  I see the giant levers and think - "And I thought that was narrow!?" 

Bryce (Pinecone)  -  I've been tempted to do that but have usually just opted to make another one.  I have some sitting around that I called "done" but now realize they are NOT done and will finish them now....or later. 

dbb -  I given quite a few away too. It's part of the fun right? 

dwardo - Awesome quote

okie64  -  There comes a time when you realize "how many bows do I really need?"  - My wife has started saying that.... replace "I" with "you".    -   ::)

George Tsoukalas  - glad I'm not the only one. 

Buckeye Guy  Well said!  -  I don't focus so much on the negative as it may sound.  It's eye opening and actually motivating too.  The fact that I know what I could have done better or would have done differently if building the same bow now makes me feel pretty good.  It's reassuring in a way.  Like I'm actually getting better at this! And of course praise God that he made trees and made me and led me to this amazing hobby.

Marc St Louis  -  well....way back for me is 2011.  ;D     I like your focus on progression and it seems you have been able to keep pushing the limits even after all the time you've at this!

Bogaman  -  very cool way of looking at it. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?