Author Topic: River Cane Fish Trap  (Read 12217 times)

Offline Dalton Knapper

River Cane Fish Trap
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:28:15 pm »
Check out this fish trap I made from river cane. I'm 5' 10" tall and the trap is bigger than me by a long way. I think there are 44 staves 3 outside cane hoops (and one from jute) and two inside hoops. The funnel is tied in so fish can be removed. It was a lot of work!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: River Cane Fish Trap
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:22:50 pm »
That's awesome! Have you tried it out yet?
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:28:09 pm »
Awesome work!

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:57:03 pm »
I haven't tried it out, but it would be for big fish. Brim would swim right through. I was wondering what native people used for bait? Maybe fish heads and guts all smashed up in a bag?

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:54:25 pm »
That sweet  :D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 09:58:33 pm »
Catfish would go for the cut bait. Perhaps a clear plastic bottle with pin holes to house some live bait like minnows? Then you might catch pike, bass etc.
Make a good lobster/crab trap. Nice job.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:17:57 am »

Maybe in lakes they used bait, but I think they were more effective in streams, where they could build a weir, around the outer edges of the trap, and funnel the fish into it.  Also, I think that theirs was affixed to the weir, and had a lid that could be lifted up and the fish speared, as needed.  But yours is pretty cool also, and has the advantage of being portable.  If you have any streams, or rivers near you, you could try the weir, by staking out the trap, and building the weir on the sides to funnel the fish into the trap. ;)  Very nice, 8) and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how effective it is. ;)  Great job on that .

Wayne

Offline autologus

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:38:31 am »
Stickbender is on the money here, funnel the fish into it from a moving stream.  My dad and I used to make traps similar to this but with screen door screen and put it into the stream behind our house to catch minnows for bait.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:59:54 pm »
That is a nice cane fish trap what kind of cordadge did you use to tie it together.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 08:49:29 pm »
Yeti. I used hemp. There is a very small ammt of jute.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 10:55:19 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I guess I will have to give the trap a try. I need to speak with Game & Fish and see if I can try it without having to get a commercial license and tags. I work at a park and they will probably let me test the trap for "scientific" purposes.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 12:08:36 am »

Ahhh yes, the good ol "Scientific Purposes", and "Research Clause".  ......  ::) ;)  Bring it down here, and we can do some scientific purposes, on some lobsters, and crabs. ;)

Wayne

Offline Scottski

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 02:04:23 am »
What park you work in?
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 09:35:35 am »
I have a friend who was a commercial fisherman all his life. At different times of the year he gravitated from trot lines to fish traps. He made net traps that were shaped like your cane trap. He would bait with soap or shad guts and catch piles of catfish in his traps.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 11:39:11 pm »
Scottski-Parkin Archeological State Park at Parkin AR.