Author Topic: mulberry Cherokee d bow measurments ?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
mulberry Cherokee d bow measurments ?
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:01:25 pm »
hello I have not been on here in a long time however I am half Cherokee and I have been building bows for several years and suddenly it hit me, I have never built  A D BOW

ANY ONE HAVE SPECS FOR A 50- 55 LBS MULBERRY D BOW ???????????
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: mulberry Cherokee d bow measurments ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:20:43 pm »
I'm sure someone will have some info on that after this weekend ....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:10:11 pm »
I really just wanna know how wide they need to be at the handle and at the tipsthen again I probably should just let the boby come the bow work with the wood start of wide and work it down as small as I can get it that's probably how it was traditionally done I know for a fact that they did not have tape measures a thousand years ago lol
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:52:12 pm »
I have not cut the dimensions of the bow in yet but I have laid it out with a pencil and this is what I have so far I have 2 inches at the handle and then this it remains the same until 9 inches before the tips then it fades gradually  To 1 inch at the tips I buy a rated the growth rings at the end of my staVe so I had to cut the stave down from 58 Inches to only 50 inches (I did this rather than chase a new ring :(  ) .. hopefully I am still able to make a good d Bow from this piece of mullberry the last mulberry bow I made was 57" and had a sudberry style handle and it pulled to 26" draw and was 55# soooo... I think with the bending handle this will work.  I will post some pics tomorrow :) once I cut it out to ruff shape .

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:36:59 am »
mulberry is osages little cousin and just has to be a tad wider, personally I wouldn't go wider than 1 3/8" especially at that length, most of the native bows I've seen had tips close to 3/4" wide and a  rectangular cross section, I have a halfeye bow and it's ash and 1 1/4" at the handle so 1 3/8" should be plenty
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 04:35:27 am »
I've always heard that, that mulberry is good stuff.  Try it out man, if bubby says.  What kind of thickness taper are you thinking?

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:01:42 am »
OK cool thanks for the measurements !!! I was thinking it was gonna be to wide . And yep this will be about my 7th mulberry bow I was lucky enough to ask ally friends on Facebook if anyone had a mulberry tree I could come cut on. 3 people replied 2 had nice trees I ended up with like 14 staves about 9 of which were good for bow making lol and only about 2 that were a lot of heart wood.  This stave is one . I chased a ring about 4 rings down and found some heartwood mixed with sapwood on that ring so I exposed it :) I must say though a lot of the myths about you can only use the sapwood have proven to be wrong yes the sapwood might be a little harder but 6 out of 7    Bows       I have made have been all sappy wood and shoot    incredible

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 09:03:44 am »
As for thickness I don't know yet I'll have to let the bow tell me that I guess I'll reduce until it tillered and at my goal weight hopefully 50#

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:06:58 am »
I meant heart wood is hardeder . Pffft my phone does not like typing on this sight