Author Topic: BL pin knot started to go, will sinew patch it?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
BL pin knot started to go, will sinew patch it?
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:59:24 am »
The bow was doing fine until the guy announced "Lets see if I can pull it back like my compound."

Well, I wasn't planning on that. Tillered to 28" on the dot as his draw was supposed to be 27" and he wanted one inch of security.

A pin knot in a refluxed area started to crack at what I guess was 29" before I made it clear he needed to stop.

I explained I had made the bow exactly as he'd asked and it had never been pulled that far, and just yanking it like that had hurt it.

Now I'm wondering if sinew will keep it together and how to apply it best. Right on top of the crown in the mid limb.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bubby

Re: BL pin knot started to go, will sinew patch it?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 04:11:03 am »
Did you beat him silly with it when he did that, you obviously can't beat him stupid
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:41:01 am »
Nope, it wont help at all. Id start another and shoot it til it blows, if it does. If he pulled 29" and its didn't let go, it should be fine at 27" for a good while. Is this that last bow you posted with a sinew wrap going round and round a knot?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline huisme

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 07:00:57 pm »
Nope, it wont help at all. Id start another and shoot it til it blows, if it does. If he pulled 29" and its didn't let go, it should be fine at 27" for a good while. Is this that last bow you posted with a sinew wrap going round and round a knot?

Yeah, and the knot is fine. Upper limb has sinew on it that I guess will just be there, it wasn't much anyway ::)

I'm going to shoot it to 100 again before I give it to him, and this time I'm tying a string the handle and nocking point for him to practice not overdrawing >:D

Already have a replacement started just in case. Thinking I'll take the time to tiller well past 27" this time, just keep the weight at 27" 45#
50#@26"

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »
The lesson here is don' let them draw a bow without an appropriate length arrow.  Nobody is going to draw a bow past the point
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline huisme

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 01:41:33 am »
The lesson here is don' let them draw a bow without an appropriate length arrow.  Nobody is going to draw a bow past the point

I should get and cut some dowels for exactly that.
50#@26"

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 08:04:55 am »

Haha!!! I've seen two different people draw past the back of the bow..and I had to shout out the woe woe woe woe..stop!!!  :laugh: if I hadn't they would've kept going...lol.  :laugh:  but these were with bows that I know/knew can handle overdraw with no issue...I only give folks who are new to shooting a wood bow one that I know can handle some abuses cus I know its more than likely gonna happen... even if ya explain it all to them they still don't listen,and end up over drawing etc..  ::)