Author Topic: Best Horn Overlay Glue  (Read 2591 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Best Horn Overlay Glue
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:06:14 am »
I'm using horn overlays for the first time and one popped off twice already with super glue.  Any suggestions on glue or method are appreciated! 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline bubby

Re: Best Horn Overlay Glue
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:22 am »
All I use is loctight pro super glue, how good do the pieces fit, got to be a perfect fit, I start shaping my tips half an hour after I glue them on and none have come off
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:56:31 am »
I use loctite gel super glue. It sucks that it only comes in the little squeeze tubes. But it seems to work for me. I use it for overlays and elb horn nocks. Make sure both mating areas are good and flat. Use a perfectly flat sanding block or a disc sander with a table. Check with a ruler if you have to to make sure they are perfectly flat. Wipe they off clean with a damp rag, apply glue, and stick together. I start working them pretty much instantly, it takes about 30 seconds to glue.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:15 am »
I've been using gorilla glue.  I'll use Loctite next time and put more time into ensuring the surfaces are perfectly flat.  I've done wood overlays many times with TB without any issues at all.  Thanks for the advice!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 02:32:57 am »
Unless you are useing gorilla super glue the original gorilla glue expands and I wouldn't use it on bows at all
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 08:55:41 am »
Yup...I use professional grade loc tite super glue,and make sure both surfaces are perfectly mated and flat before gluing....I can help ya out tomorrow while we wait for bill before we leave and have it all fixed up ready to go...it don't take long to do...unless ya got it whipped n done already...but I'll have all my stuff with me to do it(besides the beltsander of course..lol)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:14:45 am by blackhawk »

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58:13 am »
Just a thought, but I've used horn nocks several times and what I do is make sure the surfaces are flat-tight fitting and clean! Then I wipe both down with acetone, just in case of oils in the wood or horn and use loctite gel.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 09:12:12 am »
I used to use superglue, and yes I was using industrial grade glue, until I have a couple failures.  I've found that superglue get quite brittle when it hardens and when you have high string tension brittle is not what you want so I switched TB3, going on quite a few years now.  TB3 gets really hard but it doesn't get brittle and once I switched I stopped having failures.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:47:35 pm »
I use superglue all the time. No prob.
What wood are you using? It looks like ipé? If so, clean that thoroughly before applying the glue. I use denatured alcohol myself with ipé.
Also, your overlay design is not particularly resistant to shear. The overlay is short and the wood belly is not sanded to an angle. This increases the shear forces.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 02:23:59 pm »
I also go with Loctite gel. Get the fit tight. Clean the surface. I clamp them on with a spring clamp and start working them within a half hour if I want. Never had a pop off.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 02:35:58 pm »
I also use Titebond III and have not had any problems. I'll also recommend sanding the wood so the overlay sits on the stave at an angle, and as many before have said make sure the surfaces are smooth and thoroughly degreased.

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 03:43:06 pm »
Thanks guys!  This is for an Osage recurve. 

Chris, it would be great if you could help me get these set.  These things are driving me nuts!   :o  :P  thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA