Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112691 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #270 on: May 28, 2014, 09:49:07 pm »
I don't feel bad Steve, slightly amused if anything.  I am starting to catch up a bit on my workload.  Lost almost 10# in 3 weeks, mostly in sweat  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #271 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:14 pm »
Nobody was interested in the deadline. I certainly wasn't when Adam reneged on his original bet (with me) and then ran away.

Nobody ran away. I simply took a break. A break from behaviour exactly like this.

You and I had a bet. I did NOT renege on our bet. The time limit has passed. The bet has expired.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:55:39 pm by adb »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #272 on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:41 pm »
There is no us.  You are only person  that needs this proved to Adam and I have no interest in doing so
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #273 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:38 pm »
Welcome back Adam.  ;)

Thanks, Pat. However, I won't be around much. I won't be posting any bows or offering any input. The forum has lost a bit of it's luster. I found myself spending way too much time 'discussing' issues and getting behind with my work.
I'm sure you'll all get along just fine.  ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2014, 09:55:07 pm »
There is no us.  You are only person  that needs this proved to Adam and I have no interest in doing so

OK, Marc. Carry on.

Offline PatM

« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2014, 10:08:51 pm »
Nobody was interested in the deadline. I certainly wasn't when Adam reneged on his original bet (with me) and then ran away.

Nobody ran away. I simply took a break. A break from behaviour exactly like this.

You and I had a bet. I did NOT renege on our bet. The time limit has passed. The bet has expired.
No, you opened up your offer to everyone that wanted to have a go. It was just ME that made the bet. Rather than suddenly competing against a bunch of people who might want to take up your offer I chose to take my time. In fact I don't recall anyone saying they would be done in a month. That was all you and your overbearing behavior.
 The contest is not to see who can make it first. It's to see who can make it at all.
 Needless to say nobody seemed to want one of your bows that badly.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #276 on: May 28, 2014, 10:13:39 pm »
What little good will was left for the parties involved when this thread settled down is now rapidly being spent.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline adb

« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2014, 10:21:37 pm »

No, you opened up your offer to everyone that wanted to have a go. It was just ME that made the bet. Rather than suddenly competing against a bunch of people who might want to take up your offer I chose to take my time. In fact I don't recall anyone saying they would be done in a month. That was all you and your overbearing behavior.
 The contest is not to see who can make it first. It's to see who can make it at all.
 Needless to say nobody seemed to want one of your bows that badly.

OK, PatM. You carry on, too.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #278 on: May 28, 2014, 10:47:36 pm »
I'm actually quite sad I just spent however minutes reading 19 pages.  I was reading it lke a suspenseful novel but got to an anticlimactic end.  Oh well, on to another much shorter thread. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline scp

« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:45 pm »
IMHO this thread should be deleted. I think "adb" can simply start a new thread with the same challenge and let it stand for a while. I also would love to see the bows that meet the challenge. I don't think it would be easy but it would be definitely possible. I would be even satisfied if someone posts a 50# bow that is 60" long and has 26" draw length but it's limbs are not much wider than 1.5 inch. That means we can make the 100# challenge bow that is not much more than 3 inch wide. It's rather hard to believe that such a short 50# flat bow has not been done yet.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:19 pm »
I haven't quite finished reading this thread so I'm sorry if I missed it but I've yet to see a reason why this is supposed to be so hard
I like free stuff.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #281 on: May 29, 2014, 01:19:22 am »
IMHO this thread should be deleted. I think "adb" can simply start a new thread with the same challenge and let it stand for a while. I also would love to see the bows that meet the challenge. I don't think it would be easy but it would be definitely possible. I would be even satisfied if someone posts a 50# bow that is 60" long and has 26" draw length but it's limbs are not much wider than 1.5 inch. That means we can make the 100# challenge bow that is not much more than 3 inch wide. It's rather hard to believe that such a short 50# flat bow has not been done yet.

Well since this bow is 1.75" wide at its widest and only 521/2" long pulling 55#@27" I really don't see the challenge of your 50# bow. BL is too chrysal happy for the 100# bow I think, but osage, hickory, white oak, ocianspray, yew, and more could definitely do it.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2014, 02:57:26 am »
lovely tiller on that :)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2014, 03:32:13 am »
I too think this  thread does no-one any favours.
It isn't going to help anybody from a bowyery point of view. The main protagonists sound like a bunch of school children to me. Come on guys - snide comments don't put you all across in a very good light.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2014, 08:09:39 am »
Well I got to page 8 and then skipped to here, man O man. ::) By the way nice bend on that bow huisme,it was well worth the time spent on this thread. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good