Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112591 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #285 on: May 29, 2014, 09:35:33 am »
I was thinking about this thread last night and it made me think of the Leatherwall and the white-wood wars of the 90's. 

It is indeed a sad thread but better that than letting misinformation stand for newbies to see and accept as gospel.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #286 on: May 29, 2014, 10:03:14 am »
Didn't think it was that bad Marc,everyone seemed to stay PRETTY civil :) I just got tired of reading about something I have no desire or intentions of building, and like a lot of other aspects of this wood bow thing,lots of different oppions myths and half truths out there, and also lots of folks that think they have all the right answers. Always been that way and probably always will. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #287 on: May 29, 2014, 11:42:34 am »
True Mark, it was somewhat civil.

When you set limitations you are also limiting your imagination.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: May 29, 2014, 12:31:39 pm »
Please don't let them turn their imaginations loose.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 4dog

« Reply #289 on: May 29, 2014, 12:42:01 pm »
ok..patb....now that was funny!  8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #290 on: May 29, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »
I cut  number of elm trees with this in my mind and they are now dry enough to trust  their stability. Should have something soon.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11:45 pm »
It'll never work Pat....:)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #292 on: May 29, 2014, 03:06:14 pm »
Well I got to page 8 and then skipped to here, man O man. ::) By the way nice bend on that bow huisme,it was well worth the time spent on this thread. ;) :)
   Pappy

Daw shucks ;D

Anyone think any vine maple has a 60" 100#@26" bow in it? It seems to me it'd be a fun hike to find a trunk large enough to avoid having to decrown something like that.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #293 on: May 29, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »
As an impartial observer (I've been lurking these forums for about a year, but just now getting around to signing up and posting) with no long-standing relationships with anyone here, this thread is pretty silly.

To the "challenger" -- it's pretty weak to offer up a pretty killer reward for anyone that can do it, and then make stipulation after stipulation and change the framing over and over again. And why should there be a time limit on it? Pretty silly to me. It's almost as if ... you know someone will do it, and you don't want to actually have to make good on your promise.

And to those who were/are entertaining it, someone should just do it already! It's one thing to say it's possible, even easy. It's another to passive-aggressively belittle the talents of the other bowyers here.

But I think it'd be awesome to actually see this thing, whether or not there is a sweet static recurve at the end of the rainbow or not.

In other words: A lot of barking around here....

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #294 on: May 29, 2014, 05:59:48 pm »
I got no dog in the fight but... Don't cross-bow guys do this?

I realize the draw length is is small, but so is the length... For example... here is a 32" yew paddle bow prod (made buy Shaun) that pulls 105# @ 9.5".  Straight with no recurves.  If this is possible, than why shouldn't  it make sense that you could double the length of that prod, add some limb width (say 3.5 inches wide)  and be be pulling a nice paddle bow, in the mid 20" draw length range at over 100#.. Correct?  Am I missing one of the rules?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36504.msg480625.html#msg480625

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline PatM

« Reply #295 on: May 29, 2014, 08:25:29 pm »
There is no reason to go over slightly more than 2 inches in limb width.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2014, 09:00:37 pm »
Well, I'd say that depends on how long your bow is Pat.
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PatM

« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2014, 10:46:30 pm »
 60 inches, like the rules say.  High quality wood can take that.

Offline Badger

« Reply #298 on: May 29, 2014, 11:39:03 pm »
Gabe, a few years back I made a cross bow prode from ipe, it was around 32" long and draw about 125#@14" , I would guess now about 1 1/2 wide

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2014, 09:24:56 pm »
Marc, the white-wood/yellow-wood discussions we had on the Leatherwall spawned Mojam and many more get togethers like it.
I'm sure this thread started out headed in a good direction. It's to bad personal feelings led it down a different path. But it has gotten people to think about what we do and why we do it. I build bows because I enjoy doing it and I know some one will enjoy shooting the bow.
I don't do it to satisfy my ego or just to prove it can be done. That would be a waste of my time or any one who decided to do it.