Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112397 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Re: The Showdown
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:07 pm »
I really can't imagine why you think this bow can't be built..and a 26" draw is very attaninable I have built several 60" 62" and 64" flat bows that were over 70 pounds at 27" out of Osage that were not over 1.5" wide. 100 pounds is doable the only problem is that not every piece of wood will make a 100 pound bow. You definitely need the right piece of wood and sometimes thats not easy to find.
Jmo
E

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:04 pm »
You have 120 new messages

Topic reply: The Showdown

My poor email inbox  :P

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2014, 10:59:27 pm »
Wow. This has been an adventure.   

Offline Badger

« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:40 pm »
  I did the challenge bow today as per my above post, the bow was 1 13/16 wide and broke at about 25" because I had a cut in handle. I made it from a longer bow I cut down. I also had an extra long handle and fades of 13". I broke at about 90# and 25" so I would have been a fraction light but it wasn't loosing much of its reflex. I will take pics tomorrow sometime. The handle on a 100# bow needs to be a bit thicker to remain rigid it would have worked had I not had an arrow shelf allready cut into it.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2014, 11:08:55 pm »
SOMEONE PLEASE FILL ME IN..

Short versions-- what's this thread about?

And what's the issue/problem?
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:25 pm »
Steve, I'm like a few other people, I think it is very doable. I don't know what I'd do with it, don't want to waste good wood on a bow I'd never use or give to someone, and mostly, don't see the point unless I'm being paid.

If anybody is going to do it soon, it will be you. Looking forward to seeing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:53 pm »
SOMEONE PLEASE FILL ME IN..

Short versions-- what's this thread about?

And what's the issue/problem?

You can't get off that easy, you have to read the whole thing. :D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline 4dog

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2014, 11:14:39 pm »
Cip.....just some old fashioned sour grapes of somekind...personally....hope this stuff stays far away from PA....kinda disheartening to witness....but i confess....i read every ugly word......like watching a train wreck...well ..almost
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:18 pm »
Cip.....just some old fashioned sour grapes of somekind...personally....hope this stuff stays far away from PA....kinda disheartening to witness....but i confess....i read every ugly word......like watching a train wreck...well ..almost

Ha! well said. My sentiments exactly.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2014, 11:24:14 pm »
I'm not surprised Steve.   Wood is an amazing material and when treated right can do amazing things

It's the same for me Eddie.  What do you do with it after plus I have better things to do

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2014, 11:29:44 pm »
The topic of the thread (60# @ 26" selfbow with given specs) is quite legitimate and interesting, but there was probably (definitely) a much nicer way to go about it I guess.

This could actually make for a cool event, someone issues a challenge and a bow as a prize, then they do a bow swap with whoever manages to make the required bow first to whatever crazy specifications set by the challenger.

People would participate purely for the love of a challenge though, nothing else.

Offline PatM

« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:30 pm »
 Bottom line is that Marc has made a name for himself by making high class bows of every sort for at least the last 15 years and Adam thinks he has arrived because he had a couple of  laminated light weight recurves hold together. Now he thinks it's time to shoulder Marc aside and make a push for number 1.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:47 pm »
The topic of the thread (60# @ 26" selfbow with given specs) is quite legitimate and interesting, but there was probably (definitely) a much nicer way to go about it I guess.

This could actually make for a cool event, someone issues a challenge and a bow as a prize, then they do a bow swap with whoever manages to make the required bow first to whatever crazy specifications set by the challenger.

People would participate purely for the love of a challenge though, nothing else.

Do it! But whoever challenges should build one first. The thread wouldn't be so long, then.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:27 pm »
Hehe, I'll get back to you when I have a bow that pulls any weight at any drawlength, let's go from there huh ;)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:17 pm »
http://www.straightdope.com/

The best explanation of the glue bond  I've seen . We learned about this  in college  (Cabinetmaking) That was a long time ago ;) had to look for a refresher myself . Of particular interest in this article is that it starts out with" We don't really know". ................................... Science is really a lot  of that. It's just not usually admitted. ;) 
   Another experiment like the 2 pieces of steel with copper in between. Take 2 pieces of glass (clean and flat) and add a drop of water between them. If they are dead flat , you don't even need the water. Try to pull them apart. 

As for the rest of this topic, ............ try to keep in the spirit of this forum everybody . I'm not sure why it has been allowed to carry on in this fashion for so long.