Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112348 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2014, 04:45:21 pm »
I know nobody is realy interested in my opinion, but i'm inspired to give it anyway.  The original issue was one of making a normal design bow 100#  60" long .....which is obviously difficult, thats why nobodys shown any pics of one so far.....

then badger or someone chimed in with,just make it wider, and obviously if you go excessively wide you can make a short bow of any weight...but that wasbt the point of the challenge.IMO...and this  isnt what a bowyer would normaly make...then it becomes a weird extreme design  ......so this is where it changed..its the same as making an excesively long bow to prove a point.....Adb didnt change his mind , the criteria changed

so I'm with Adb on this one...it was originaly a good challenge...but the bow shouldnt lhave excessive width, this doent prove anything.

and ....I'm not impressed with Marcs boasting and  insulting and then backing down...this doesnt look good...sorry marc but its true... you said too much to back down... not taking sides here just the way I see it.....

Dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2014, 04:48:49 pm »
 :( :( :( You guys should be ashamed for acting like kids. This site is to help people like me build better bows. I'm sure you are all very good boywers. Share and learn from each other.
GROW UP!

I just blew up a 64 inch maple backed black walnut bow and had 5 sticthes in my cheek. You guys aren't helping me with this crap!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2014, 04:59:29 pm »
Wow! This thread boomed out of no where and right during my busiest week of the semester! Have a week off coming up so if I have the wood to do it I may have to accept this challenge. If I do it with poplar do I get bonus points?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2014, 05:01:30 pm »
Wow! This thread boomed out of no where and right during my busiest week of the semester! Have a week off coming up so if I have the wood to do it I may have to accept this challenge. If I do it with poplar do I get bonus points?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yes!! lol do it

Offline Badger

« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2014, 05:05:53 pm »
I know nobody is realy interested in my opinion, but i'm inspired to give it anyway.  The original issue was one of making a normal design bow 100#  60" long .....which is obviously difficult, thats why nobodys shown any pics of one so far.....

then badger or someone chimed in with,just make it wider, and obviously if you go excessively wide you can make a short bow of any weight...but that wasbt the point of the challenge.IMO...and this  isnt what a bowyer would normaly make...then it becomes a weird extreme design  ......so this is where it changed..its the same as making an excesively long bow to prove a point.....Adb didnt change his mind , the criteria changed

so I'm with Adb on this one...it was originaly a good challenge...but the bow shouldnt lhave excessive width, this doent prove anything.

and ....I'm not impressed with Marcs boasting and  insulting and then backing down...this doesnt look good...sorry marc but its true... you said too much to back down... not taking sides here just the way I see it.....

Dave

Dragon man, the only way to do it is make it wider. The width is really where the draw weight is controlled even if it doesn't seem like it. Every bow has only one correct thickness. We don't always hit that thickness but it doesn't change the fact.

Offline PatM

« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:20 pm »
Dave, The only reason you're not seeing pics yet is because nobody really needs this bow for any practical reason. I can think of a few theoretical hunting situations where it is likely exactly what I would build.
 It's pushing the limits of practicality but there is no reason for it to look like more than a stout flatbow if made from the right wood.  There is still an optimum that can be reached.
 It's nothing like Ryan's Poplar bow for example.
 BA,  This is  precisely about sharing and learning. We're going to share and adb's going to learn. ;)

Offline Badger

« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2014, 05:12:53 pm »
   My 1st attempt failed, it let go at the handle where the arrow shelf was cut in, I was worried about this from the start. I was at 90# and 25" when it failed so I know I could easily do it. I had a heavy osage bow that was 1 13/16 wide that I cut down for this test. At 2 1/4" wide it would be no problem. I need at least 1 1/2" thick through the handle if I cut out a shelf. Bow had lost only 1" of it's 2" reflex when it failed. Next one I will use a fresh piece of wood instead of cutting a bow down.

Offline PatM

« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »
Likely going to join some elm billets that will yield 60 inches exactly.
 Hopefully billets are not considered  "cheating".

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »
It's only cheating if you use glue  ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2014, 05:56:50 pm »
I was never backing out.

Atta boy!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2014, 06:07:38 pm »
It's only cheating if you use glue  ::)
Del

...or a saw!  Obsidian flakes only are permitted for cutting in the joint.

OneBow

Offline adb

« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2014, 06:09:03 pm »
All emotions and insults aside, I think this thread is great. No, really. It's generating interest, provoking thought, and pushing boundaries. All things which lead to knowledge. I haven't seen a thread generate this much hoopla in a long time. Lots of people participating, and doing some thinking outside the box. I think that's good! It's also fun!

Beats the hell outta... ''Yah, I made this ash backed ipe flatbow, stiff handle, 45#@27", 66" ntn, and 1/2" of set. I'm really happy." (Nobody get offended... I'm mocking myself). Doesn't that get boring? Does to me. Whether you guys care to admit it or not, I have more than one person on this forum busily trying to make a bow!  ;D  I love it.

Thanks Dragonman... appreciate your support. I think Marc should pony up too. And it'd be awesome if you guys listened to what he's saying about the width. Just a thought.

Offline adb

« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2014, 06:10:53 pm »

Hey, Ryan... isn't this great!  ;D Kinda like that osage hate thread you started and the poplar bow challenge. I'm lovin' it. Hey, tell you what... if you can pull it off with poplar, I'll mail the bow to you gratis. How does that sound?

Offline adb

« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2014, 06:11:45 pm »
Hey adb......just finished it......if I got the trajectory correct the arrows should be landing in your backyard soon

Made my heart skip a beat for a sec...  ;D ;D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 06:19:47 pm »

Dave

I think you're reaching there Dave.  Quite frankly I don't recall any boasting.  What I did was make a statement of fact, which I made not only from experience but from common sense.  At no time did I ever have any intention of making such a bow and I never said I would.  Just because Adam wants it doesn't mean we all have to jump to do it.  The fact is that Adam wants me to prove to him that I can make such a bow and lets not make any mistakes about this.  What he is actually doing is questioning my abilities as a bowyer and he has essentially said as much.  The fact is that I have nothing to prove to him and quite frankly he doesn't deserve it anyway.  Adam's attitude and approach is full of anger and nothing good will come of that.

Essentially what it boils down to is that if he thinks he can't do it then I guess he can't.  I know I can, there would no doubt be some design difficulties to overcome especially around the handle but those wouldn't be of great consequence, all you have to do is make sure your handle is SOLID.

In any case Dave, why don't you point out where I did this boasting?   You never know, maybe Alzheimer is finally kicking in  :D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com