Author Topic: Huntin heritage  (Read 2510 times)

Stringman

Huntin heritage
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:08:36 pm »
Well I reckon this is kind of a long story, but here goes...

My grampa got this buck back in '88 at a time when deer hunting was just startin to get popular again in IL. Turns out this deer was the biggest deer of his life. Don't remember the stats, but I do remember his name was in the local paper and if memory serves, this deer was down moments after sunrise. The man was a passionate hunter and yet very low keyed about the whole affair.

In the early '90s my granny passed and pa decided to sell the farm. Instead of having all the kids squabble over what they wanted he had it all auctioned off and let them bid if they wanted it. When the auctioneer got to the trailer with the deer racks I put my bid in but my uncle won so he got first dibs and chose this rack.

Just recently, this uncle passed away and I was presented with the opportunity to reclaim what I had bid on 18 years ago. It wasn't till I was driving home that I realized the full significance of the rack, and I started making plans.

After contemplating, the best use of this resource I decided to split it up and give a part of pa back to the family. I just felt like it would be foolish to lose this opportunity to memorialize the man who has had such a huge impact on not only my life, but the lives of the entire Stanberry clan.

The final step will be to have him sign each knife and then I will pass them out to each of his children at this years thanksgiving feast. Grampa has given so much to this family, in so many ways. And now that he is nearing his end, hopefully, this will help everyone in our family to remember the values that he stands for and stand together to keep this family strong.

God Bless!

Offline Lemos

Re: Huntin heritage
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:22 pm »
That's a wonderful story and a beautiful gesture you've done there. If it were me I know I'd be honored to have a memorial keepsake from you made of grandpas best deer.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 02:16:49 pm »
Awesome knives!! I am taking inspiration from the story and the quality of work.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »
one word, AWESOME
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:42:21 pm »
Well Done.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:04:33 pm »
Way to go Man! I don't know if I coulda cut that rack up, but you did it right. I really like the two brow tine knives, all are great, but those two really stand out to me. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:27:33 pm »
That's some real good medicine right there. Good way to honor the Man, the Deer, and the Heritage
rich

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:38:55 pm »
Thanks guys. It feels good to give it back once in awhile. I was struggling for the last month to come up with the right inspiration to put blade to handle. Then all at once everything fell in place. Was a big relief to know I did it right. I feel confident that these pieces are made well and will be given for the right reasons.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 06:59:27 pm »
Way to go. As our fathers and grandfathers age and pass and we step into their shoes as leaders of our families is all so important that we leave to the youngers with what our fathers left to us! Hunt with your kids and you'll never have to hunt for your kids.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 08:13:30 pm »
Very awesome! I like that story!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:23 pm »
That's a cool story and awesome  idea, Scott. I know they will love it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:43 pm »
Very neat how the events played out over time. Really nice. Work that will probably stir some emotions for sure!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:16 am »
Great work and story.

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:58 am »
Hunt with your kids and you'll never have to hunt for your kids.
Knapper
I like that!

Yes, I agree, Tracy

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 10:06:59 am »
What's already been said. That is a lot of fine work there and hope they appreciate as much as you put into them, thought and labor  :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.