Author Topic: Juniper from Bryce (tiller check?) anyone?!  (Read 22331 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Juniper from Bryce(now sinewed)
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2014, 02:59:05 pm »
That skin should be a nice touch!  Josh

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2014, 03:27:28 pm »
Ahahahahahaha, love the way this thread veered off course! pretty sure I would have to finish this juniper if you try skinning yer girl Laflair! >:D
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2014, 04:20:05 pm »
Just to be clear, I meant the bullsnake skin would be a nice touch. ::) ;) ;D. Josh

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:09 am »
Just when I was getting bored with work WORK  W O R K,  - - - PA comes to my rescue with a great big belly laugh.  Nearly spilt my coffee - again.

OneBow

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2014, 10:49:20 am »
In all seriousness though, I got to hold the almost bow and I cannot believe how light it is even with the sinew backing. I have sassafrass thats really light but I wouldnt dare go as short as this one! its coming along nicely and I cant wait for you to finish it man... I want to shot it!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2014, 08:26:38 pm »
looking good. you will find that juniper is really elastic feeling and it will lose poundage as you work it in so over build the bow to start out and remove slowly while exercising it a lot in between. I also have made longbows from juniper with less than stellar results. one of my favorite bows was a molly design wide working limbs with 12" levers, bow performed awesome for 5 years, but exploded a couple of weeks ago. developed a separation in between growth rings which resulted in failure of the upper limb. cant wait to see how this one turns out.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »
If this bow shoots half that long nicely I'd be happy. This is my most intensive build yet. Hopefully she works out. I'm gonna get her on the tree to excersise a little. I was told 80 grit would get me along way. It doesn't like a scraper. It's light as a feather, and there's still relatively a lot of wood to be removed. It's a joy to be able to attempt such things with so much help. Opinions often vary but core rules hold true. Most of the time the just of it is about the same. So thanks everyone for your input, and laughs. I plan on filling the small gaps in the sinew and giving it another week or two. It's killing me to wait but again with the advice ::)
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2014, 03:53:51 am »
Hang in there bud it's worth the wait:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2014, 11:04:17 am »
Well it's been 5 weeks or so. Here it is. Gonna start tillering soon. I just gotta spit shine my trade bow. It was slightly deflexed before sinew. I think it looks sweet. I lightly sanded the sinew smooth. Also a knot fell out of the side of one limb. I haven't rounded the belly yet so it won't be an issue

Offline Aaron H

Re: Juniper from Bryce (sinew dried)
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2014, 01:14:42 pm »
Looking good, love the statics

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2014, 09:55:55 am »
So I had some time with the baby this early morning. So I took her for a ride and she fell asleep. I started to tiller my bow, quietly with 80 grit. I have to make a string for it for brace height. Tiller check. I like how the left is bending. The rights go something going on.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2014, 09:58:16 am »
Stiff in both centers.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

Re: Juniper from Bryce (tiller check?)
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2014, 10:05:19 am »
.....aaand waaaaaaay to long of a long string ...your long string should be about touching the handle....whatever mark your pulling to on the tree there,and whatever weight it is there is about the weight your gonna be at that mark...that long of a long string can mess you up and make you come in under weight FYI...

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2014, 10:12:50 am »
I know I know, it was 5 am and the baby was FINALLY sleeping lol. I did what I could. It only pulls about 10" in the pic. I mostly excersise it. And rounded the belly edges.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2014, 10:13:08 am »
And......limbs react totally different when pulled down and in as opposed to just down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.