Author Topic: My First Bow  (Read 9583 times)

jdwilltx

My First Bow
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:40:45 pm »
Hi everyone.  This is my first attempt at bowmaking.  It is an unbacked red oak board from McCoys.  It is 68 inches tip to tip and 66 1/2 nock to nock.  It is 40 lbs @ 28 inches.  It took about 2 inches of set on each limb.  It shoots fairly well but my selection of arrows consists of 3 different carbon arrows so I am not very accurate.  A set of arrows will be my next task.

My girlfriend got me The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol. 1 for Christmas and her mom got me a subscription to Primitive Archer!  I had 3 issues of the magazine and a copy of The Bent Stick before I started this bow.

Let me know what yall think.

Jeremy

[attachment deleted by admin]

330bull

Re: My First Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 02:56:12 pm »
Great job!  That may just blow the doors off 99% of everyone else's "1st bow".  The tiller looks pretty dang good too and that's what really matters!

Joe

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 03:30:30 pm »
Excellent work. Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:23:19 pm »
You're off to a great start Jeremy, that's a great first first bow!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 10:46:10 pm »
awesome first bow!

jamie

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:44:44 am »
Welcome to PA Jeremy looks like you a brite future in bow making nicely done.
One observation though, why pull the bow so far back? In the picture looks like yer drawing almost
to your ear, could anchor at the corner of mouth and decrease the draw a inch or so, it would put
less stress on the bow. Also its much easier to tiller a bow to 26" than it is to 28"
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:10:10 am »
Nicely done. You've done a great job on the tiller
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Minuteman

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:04:10 am »
Thats a great first bow!
 I do think its bein' drawn a bit too far. ( You could say "yeah that was my idiot brother that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground drawing it,  wasn't me.") ;D ;D
 We all made a start somewhere and you've done well. My first 15 or so bows broke or were aborted due to any number of mistakes.You get one that stays together on yer first try and you've done good.
 Chris

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:52:14 am »
Great job! Like the stitchin on the handle, very clean and tight.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 12:11:01 pm »
Nice job, good tiller, very nice job on handle and nocks. Hey I like a deep drawing bow and don't shoot well unless drawing deeply.  Yep a custom set of arrows is just what you need. Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 04:04:46 pm »
Jeremy, Welcome to PA and congrats on your first bow. Very well done!!!      Pat

ps. I hope you thanked your girlfriend and her mom for being so supportive. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 04:32:26 pm »
Good Bow!!!  Should be good huntin'!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

jdwilltx

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:43:34 am »
Thanks everyone!  The bow is overdrawn in this picture.  I know you arent supposed to overdraw a bow but I was gauging my draw from the length of the arrow.  So when I drew back without arrow, I went too far.  So 28 inches is at the corner off my mouth.  I still have a lot to learn about shooting!  Thanks again everyone!  Jeremy.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 12:20:10 pm »
My girlfriend got me The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol. 1 for Christmas and her mom got me a subscription to Primitive Archer!  I had 3 issues of the magazine and a copy of The Bent Stick before I started this bow

marry her.
frank

ps: REALLY nice first bow!
Frank from Germany...

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 12:11:45 pm »
Your first bow, and a fine one it is, is also the first bow for 2008 in BOM files.  Thanks for the post.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday