Author Topic: Should I sinew back this shortbow?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Should I sinew back this shortbow?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:42:25 pm »
I've just finished a hickory backed Osage short D bow (55ntn) and I'm thinking of sinew backing it. I have some hide glue and sinew left over from a previous native bow project. The bow shoots fine as it is, but I'd like to give the bow some reflex, extra power and a little more draw length. I was thinking around 3 layers of sinew over a period of 3 months. Would this add much benefit do you think?

EDIT
I backed the Osage with hickory as it was an Osage board.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:51:44 pm by TheDukesArchers »

Offline adb

Re: Should I sinew back this shortbow?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »
You've already backed it with hickory, so no, don't back it with sinew.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »
I backed it as it was an Osage board and not a stave. I still think a few layers of sinew will make it a better bow.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:55:38 pm »
I don't, but go ahead. If you wanted reflex, you could have added it during glue up. If you wanted more draw weight you could have tillered that in. Sinew backing that bow will not make it better or add much draw weight. It will just add more mass to an already backed bow and it will probably perform worse.

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
In my experience sinewing an already shot in bow will only add protection for the bow. I've never experienced a great deal of an increase in weight; much less performance. Save your sinew and glue for another. 

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »
I backed it as it was an Osage board and not a stave. I still think a few layers of sinew will make it a better bow.

I assumed it was an Osage board, cuz I've never seen a hickory backed Osage stave.  ;D
It would be very labour intensive to decrown and flatten an Osage stave enough to back it with wood. Chasing a ring is much easier.

Plus, a hard backing like hickory is better than sinew anyway. I know, I know.... Many will disagree, but hickory is stronger, more durable, and much easier and faster to apply. It sounds to me like you have a decent shooter already. Go and enjoy it!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:26:21 pm by adb »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:29:36 pm »

Nope, it will make it a dog. Stick with what you have done.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 01:48:10 pm »
Well a Turkish bow is a Maple backed horn bow which then has sinew added.... I would try the double backing concept before definitively saying it will be slower etc. etc.
 There is a reason that all natural material flight bow records are held by sinew backed bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »
Considering it wasn't designed and built to work together in reflex from conception and that you've already shot it, Id almost bet my bow rack that any added reflex will be shot out after a 100-150 shots. Just a hunch.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 02:07:47 pm »
Have to know if any glued up reflex was induced first and how far the bow has actually been drawn so far.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 02:10:21 pm »
I like sinew... I like sinew, a lot.  Sinew is wonderful stuff.  When I choose to sinew, it is a predetermined, planned part of the bow that I decide to make.  I never use it as a "fix" or an "improvement" after the fact. (with the exception maybe for a sinew band-aid to hold down an unforeseen split or grain runoff).  For myself, I believe that sinew should be a fore-thought, not an after-thought.  But that's me.

With that being said, I am with the majority in that it won't help your cause.  However, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  You seem to be seeking a nudge to go with it so, try it.  Record a forced draw curve and some other stats maybe like max flight distance and chrono feet per second prior to adding sinew.  Then record the same data elements after your sinew is on and cured.  Then, you'll know for absolute certain gains vs. losses.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:17:22 pm by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:19:44 pm »
Draw it further also. It's not an apples to apples comparison. The sinew is supposed to make it a different bow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »
For the record, I would have done it 200 bows ago when I was more of a "find it out for myself" kinda guy! Ive since learned a few lessons, that's why I suggested leaving it be.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 02:23:55 pm »
I'd like to "tango" on this one,and say some things,but I'll keep me mouf shut  :-X  :laugh:

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »
I like sinew... I like sinew, a lot.  Sinew is wonderful stuff.  When I choose to sinew, it is a predetermined, planned part of the bow that I decide to make.  I never use it as a "fix" or an "improvement" after the fact. (with the exception maybe for a sinew band-aid to hold down an unforeseen split or grain runoff).  For myself, I believe that sinew should be a fore-thought, not an after-thought.  But that's me.

With that being said, I am with the majority in that it won't help your cause.  However, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  You seem to be seeking a nudge to go with it so, try it.  Record a forced draw curve and some other stats maybe like max flight distance and chrono feet per second prior to adding sinew.  Then record the same data elements after your sinew is on and cured.  Then, you'll know for absolute certain gains vs. losses.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. The first part, anyway.