Author Topic: Pacific Yew, Hickory and Bamboo.......  (Read 6155 times)

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

Re: Pacific Yew, Hickory and Bamboo.......
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 07:31:41 am »
Did the grip today. Off to SA on Monday.
Sad to see it go, very quick smooth shooter...............luckily I have another blank!!!!! :biggrin:

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 03:38:27 am »
Nice bow but forget the pins. They are doing nothing. Wether a riser pops off or not is due to the thickness of the belly lam. Another way to fix this problem is to add a powerlam.

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 09:20:26 am »
Hi Mike,
I have to respectfully disagree with you about the pins.
If they were inserted at 90degrees with the belly they would be, as you say, "doing nothing".
The bamboo pins are inserted at an angle to the belly or "skewed" if you like, back towards the centre of the bow in to the belly wood thru the main lamination of the riser. Having them on this angle, increases resistance on that main lamination of lift, and in my opinion, makes the lamination glue line stronger.
Since I have been doing this, I have not had one riser pop or fail.
Along with longer fades, careful gluing, multi laminated risers and careful tillering with a rigid or static riser in mind, you can get away with having a thinner belly wood.
I have not included a power lam in my builds before, I take it they make the riser section more rigid? If that is the case, they have some merit and will have to consider including them to my builds, especially as I don't have the luxury of having thick belly woods all the time.

Mick.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 02:13:16 am »
Killer combo, that's one fine piece of bow sir. +1 on the antler rest

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 11:04:31 am »
that is very nice. love the contrasts with the different woods. on some of my bamboo backed yew bows that I made I had the bamboo too thick and it overpowered the yew the result was frets in the yew, this happened over a long period with lots of arrows through them, curious how your combo wil work out. very nicely done.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 12:54:25 pm »
That handle turned out very nice.  Always enjoy seeing new handle wraps.  And interesting use of Pins. It makes sense to put them at an angle. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso