Author Topic: Guided Grizzly Hunt  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Guided Grizzly Hunt
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:14:11 pm »
It's been a dream of mine to match wits with a full grown grizz.
I'm not up to date with guides and services of that nature and really I'm not looking for anything fancy. I'm a simple guy with simple needs.
So if you guys know of any good services I would be happy to hear about it:)

Thanks again:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline stickbender

Re: Guided Grizzly Hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:26:01 pm »

Montana has been rolling the idea around to open up Grizzly bear hunting again, but so far, it has just been a suggestion.  Those little cute things are extremely fast.  Anything that can run down a yearling Elk, is fast!  Powerful is an understatement!  Good luck with that.  They are big!  you want to see if you can get a hunt in Russia.  Might not have to go to Russia, since uncle barry signed over seven islands off the coast of Alaska to the Russians, complete with oil reserves.

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:48:38 am »
I thought about it in my younger years but 10 grand is a bit much and that is about what a guided Grizz hunt cost. Probably more now. Good luck and work on your running and dodging tactics before you head out. ;) :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:04:46 am »
I envy your journey. I've wanted to do it for years but wife and kids aren't as excited as I am about the notion ;D good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:49:50 am »
Hope it works out for you man.  That would be awesome!!  Remember, you don't have to out run the bear, just your hunting buddy! ::)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »
Just for your information, check to see what kind of sidearm the guide is carrying right before leaving camp.  If it's a .22 pistol, he plans on kneecapping you so HE can stay ahead of the bear!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:57:47 pm »
I used to guide grizzly bear hunters, but never killed one myself.  We used to bait them with old horses that were subject to being put down.  That was not an easy thing to do as the old boars would come in at night and feed then lay up close by in the timber out of sight during the day.    The bait ground had to be carefully chosen so you could slip in undetected to a place that would offer a good shot.  Outfitters would find a perfect place to bait and then use that bait ground for years.  The wind was not your friend especially in the mountains as currents often gave you away.  Back then because they were hunted two times a year they were very difficult to hunt and the success ratio was not all that high.  A bear fresh out of the den in the spring is one thing, but a bear that has been feeding on a dead animal is an experience to skin that you will never forget!  I think hunting an animal that can hunt back is the ultimate challenge for any hunter!  I worked several years in Alaska and found the cheapest way to hunt inland grizzlies is to float the rivers.  There are many subspecies of grizzlies in Alaska and many require different approaches.  I would start by searching the master guides and southern coastal hunts.  Good luck!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 07:46:11 pm »
I used to guide grizzly bear hunters, but never killed one myself.  We used to bait them with old horses that were subject to being put down.  That was not an easy thing to do as the old boars would come in at night and feed then lay up close by in the timber out of sight during the day.    The bait ground had to be carefully chosen so you could slip in undetected to a place that would offer a good shot.  Outfitters would find a perfect place to bait and then use that bait ground for years.  The wind was not your friend especially in the mountains as currents often gave you away.  Back then because they were hunted two times a year they were very difficult to hunt and the success ratio was not all that high.  A bear fresh out of the den in the spring is one thing, but a bear that has been feeding on a dead animal is an experience to skin that you will never forget!  I think hunting an animal that can hunt back is the ultimate challenge for any hunter!  I worked several years in Alaska and found the cheapest way to hunt inland grizzlies is to float the rivers.  There are many subspecies of grizzlies in Alaska and many require different approaches.  I would start by searching the master guides and southern coastal hunts.  Good luck!  Joe

i agree the challenge is what iam after. i would just buy out of state license and tags but Alaska state law says i HAVE to hire a guide.
been watching alot of old Fred bear footage. and i have done my research talking to biologist and wildlife troopers.
the grizzly seems like the ultimate challenge, a nose that doesnt quit and speed that scares a full grown elk!
havent checked out the Canadian guides yet but all the hunts i have found are around the $16,000 range, which to me seems a bit ridiculous.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:27:11 pm »
When I was hunting in the Yukon for moose the griz tag and cost was far less than the moose tag.  You might check out Blackstone Outfitters. 

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:22 am »
I'm interested to see what people have to say.  This is my dream hunt also so I did a little research.  Some things I heard is, you get what you pay for.  And a lot of guides won't go with a stick bow hunter.  The prices I saw were from 10 to over 20k+ depending on area and quality of service.  Good luck!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 01:04:24 am »
Heck I would hire a homeless man to be my guide as long as he was certified. .
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 01:42:52 am »
Bryce,
               Just a bit of quick advice...When Hunting things that will kill and eat you for sport. The last thing you want is to skimp on a mediocre guide. Wanting to do something is a whole helluva lot different than actually being able to afford to do it.....

With that said, look to Russia and specifically Kamchatka for an affordable Grizz hunt. More bang for the buck..Or in our case twang...My Moose hunt is less by half there than in North America..They speak English and are very good at what they do..

He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 02:13:58 am »
I understand your concern.
Checked out blackstone. Looks pretty good.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 08:45:15 pm »
Bryce:  The best thing about Blackstone is that you can drive right to their base camp.  Their hunting area covers 10 thousand square miles of mountains and rivers.  They have their own planes and several landing strips and also horses.  They have some fantastic sheep hunting and floating the rivers for moose is awesome.  I think any of the Yukon outfitters can only get so many grizzly tags so you have to contract early.  Most of the fellows that hunt grizzly with them hunt them as a second animal.  I have hunted with several outfitters over the years and found them to be the best.  Not to sure I would trust my abilities with a stick bow against a grizzly.  The other best way to find an outfitter is to attend the SCI Convention in Vegas or the Dallas Safari Club and bid on a hunt.  That is the very cheapest way to get a hunt.  There will be outfitters from all over the world there including Canada, Russia, and the US.  The outfitters donate hunts and they are advertised well in advance so you know what kind of hunt you are bidding on.  The first thing you must ask is if they will take a primitive archer!  Joe

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 09:39:53 pm »
I hear yah! Convincing them that stone points are just as effective will be the truck but I'm sure the guide will have a 12gauge loaded with a slug on the ready.
At 20-30yards I'm pretty dang accurate when it comes down to it.
Heck they might just wanna see it:) the land I hunt now is privately owned and he only lets me hunt it bc if my equipment. His jaw dropped when I harvested an elk off his land, super nice guy.

Thank you for the input bud! Appreciate it!
Clatskanie, Oregon