Author Topic: eastern red cedar backing question  (Read 1449 times)

gutpile

eastern red cedar backing question
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:58:37 am »
first erc stave..very clean no knots..62 inches long 1 7/8 wide tapered to 5/8 at nock for now... My question is...how far would you till bow before backing it..never done a rawhide backing, done plenty of sinew jobs and that is what I am leaning toward.. I am thinking I can longstring till to about 18 inches...maybe 20..I do not want to brace bow till backed...had a maple backed erc board bow blow bracing after I long tilled it..it was stressed to max r/d design ..ended up being a pin knot in backing that blew... was trying to build it too heavy also..lol...if you aint breaking you aint making..lol...

Offline Josh B

Re: eastern red cedar backing question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:08 am »
I back em at low brace.  That way I have a good idea how the string is tracking and have made necessary adjustments before gluing on the rawhide.  Josh

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:09 am »
From my experience eastern red cedar is a very brittle wood I have had some in unbacked bows last forever and some break as soon as I bent them to put a string on I would back it before anything else just to be safe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 01:56:06 pm »
Back it anytime. The sooner the better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:05:59 pm »
since I ve no experience with rawhide and I am wanting to induce some reflex I'll get her bending a bit better on the floor tillering and sinew it...I like to set it in between two chairs and hang a 25 lb weight off handle..I'll let it sit a good month and 1/2..Ive already flipped the tips..she gonna have a nice profile...gonna shoot for 55 @27...