Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2926 times)

Offline randman

Re: Advice please
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 08:29:36 pm »
If it were my stave, I'd fill that hole and the area around the knot with super glue till it wouldn't absorb any more. And I wouldn't leave that area on the belly side so thick. I'd scoop it out slightly in the center (think Simson hollow limb style). I learned my lesson on leavin those area overly thick and non bending because all you are doing is making a big pressure point there where it's not bending the slightest and all the tension pressure is on the back side at the knot where it's the weakest. By relieving pressure on the compression side by scooping, you are also equalizing the pressure somewhat on the backside knot (IMHO). I'm learning that consistent limb thickness taper is most important and that is a big thick spot in your limb thickness taper (and it does show in the non bending area of your brace and tiller post). You do have a little extra width in that area so it can handle being a little thinner than it is even with the knot. OS can handle it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Advice please
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:27 pm »
If it was mine I'd leave it as is except cleaning the rotten wood out. It looks like you have left enough wood around the outside of the knot to me. I've done worse on Vine maple.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?