Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2925 times)

Don Case

Advice please
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »
I'm working on this Ocean Spray bow. It has a big lump 8 1/2" from the tip. You can see the knot and beside it there is a hole. I can stick a piece of wire about 1/2" into the hole and wobble it around some. I'm guessing it opens up to about 1/4" to 3/8" inside. The knot looks iffy to me and I'm wondering if I should drill the knot out? The knot is just starting to show on the belly and I still have quite a bit of wood to take off. I'm toying with the idea of opening the whole area up but I'm afraid that will compromise the back too much. Any suggestions please.
Don

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 02:53:35 pm »
when in doubt drill it out

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:56:03 pm »
Drilling out rotten wood doesn't strengthen anything, it just keeps it from falling out later and messing up your finish. The integrity of the wood is as good as it can be now, or if its removed. Id clean any loose stuff up and call it good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:06:33 pm »
You can see in the bottom picture that I've left it  bit thicker where the lump is. Do you think I'm being over cautious? In the top picture you can see that I followed the grain around the outside.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:09:23 pm »
As tall as that knot is, Id keep my belly flat with the rest of the limb and leave that area a mega fuzz flat. Id consider that a solid knot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:29 pm »
Sorry, mega fuzz???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 03:13:28 pm »
A tiny bit!

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:06 pm »
Thanks, back to rasping ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »
I would not drill it out because you could be violating the back ring. I would pick out the loose stuff from inside the knot. If it goes all the way through to the belly leave it a hole or fill it with saw dust and super glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 04:19:26 pm »
A shame.  Good luck with that Don.  I just cleaned up some OS I cut last year. One piece is 1 1/2" thick then sort of branches out about two thirds of the way having a good curve in it.  I don't have a photo yet. I really hate to start on such a project knowing deep down after 2 hours of work it will break in the section where the branch off shoot is.
If I leave the OS whole I can use it for tip overlays or other stuff.    ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:08 pm »
don os is some tough stuff and hard to bust I say go for it just like pearl said
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:08:31 pm »
A shame.  Good luck with that Don.  I just cleaned up some OS I cut last year. One piece is 1 1/2" thick then sort of branches out about two thirds of the way having a good curve in it.  I don't have a photo yet. I really hate to start on such a project knowing deep down after 2 hours of work it will break in the section where the branch off shoot is.
If I leave the OS whole I can use it for tip overlays or other stuff.    ;)

Did you have anything important planned for that two hours? ;) ;) This stave was collected in Sept, I think. I bandsawed it in half, leaving it as thick as possible in the handle section. Its weight has followed the RH for a month so I'm pretty sure it's dry. I glued a piece of mahogany on the handle but after I finish it there won't be much left. I'm tillering it now and I have a good feeling about it. Oh, I've jinxed it now haven't I.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:48:33 pm by Don C »

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 05:10:17 pm »
OS takes  a long time to dry i'd watch for checks

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 06:53:45 pm »
OS takes  a long time to dry i'd watch for checks

I'm "reasonably" confident in this one but as I build my stock of staves I plan on a one year minimum. I started this hobby/obsession last August and I am pushing the envelope here cause I'm sick of waiting.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 07:13:22 pm »
I know that feeling Don ;)